News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Albeniz Concierto fantastico

Started by JimL, Sunday 19 August 2012, 06:51

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

I would also suggest that despite its relatively high opus number it might be an early work, composed before his mature style had developed.  Pianist/composers often withheld their 'touring' concertos from publication for quite a while during this period.

semloh

The Wiki entry locates it as 1885-87, the 'middle period', of which it says:

During the late 1880s, the strong influence of Spanish style is evident in Albéniz's music. In 1883 Isaac Albéniz met the teacher and composer Felipe Pedrell. Pedrell was a leading figure in the development of nationalist Spanish music. Gilbert Chase, in his book The Music of Spain, describes Pedrell's influence on Albéniz: "What Albéniz derived from Pedrell was above all a spiritual orientation, the realization of the wonderful values inherent in Spanish music"[page needed]. Felipe Pedrell inspired Isaac Albéniz to write Spanish music such as the Suite española, Op. 47 noted for its delicate, intricate melody and abrupt dynamic changes.

Interesting, I thought, given the kind upload of that entertaining symphonic prelude by Pedrell a few days ago by rbert12. :)

giles.enders

I had always understood that the original orchestration for the Concierto Fantastico in A Op.78 was lost and that it was re.orchestrated by Trayler.
The second piano concerto referred to was composed around 1892 and never completed.  It is in E flat and the MS is in The Bibliotecca de Catalunya, Barcelona.
The Rhapsodia Espanol  Op.70 was orchestrated in 1911 by Enescu and in the 1950's by Halffler.  I believe others have also had a go at the orchestration.

JimL

Quote from: giles.enders on Tuesday 28 August 2012, 14:44
I had always understood that the original orchestration for the Concierto Fantastico in A Op.78 was lost and that it was re.orchestrated by Trayler.
If so that's a shame.  It would have been nice to hear an original orchestration by the composer.  Maybe there's a MS lying around undiscovered someplace.  Somebody oughtta put out an APB... ;D