News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Bottesini Requiem

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 10 January 2013, 18:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

And another name joins the list of composers from whom one did not (at first?) expect substantial liturgical music (well, I didn't...) but gets it anyway... (RISM does not enlighten as to the source of this :) )

JimL

No doubt there is a large part for a basso profundo singer!

Alan Howe

petershott@btinternet.com

By golly, I never knew Bottesini composed so much. At least 11 string quartets, and many operas. I note that one of them is Marion Delorme, performed in 1862. And presumably based on Victor Hugo's play - as is Ponchielli's opera of 1885 (don't know if it is the same librettist). Quite irrelevant, but I had to sneak it in for I much enjoyed the Accord recording of the latter from a couple of years ago.

So another on the list of acquisitions - happy days!

Gareth Vaughan

JimL

eschiss1

probably two bass singers. (sorry, I joke. I like what I've heard by him too, and I hope to hear this.)

Alan Howe

semloh

Fair to say that most people would not have heard of Bottesini other than in connection with the double-bass, and personally I had never bothered to look any further, so this all comes as an interesting new venture. 

eschiss1

since the demise(?) of ASV, has any company picked up the volumes of recordings I seem to recall they made of Bottesini's various chamber works (some vocal, mostly I think not entirely with double-bass)?

semloh

Eric, Naxos has issued a number of Bottesini's works for d-bass and piano, as well as chamber ensembles and concertos. I don't know off-hand about vocal works, but the appearance of the Requiem suggests that they are intending to cover everything!

eschiss1

here is one of the CDs I'm thinking of. (I wonder - is Naxos reissuing these CDs? The lineup of artists in volume 3 on Naxos on their website suggests so, it's the same people, Jacquelyn Fugelle, Anthony Halstead, etc. though the CD cover says differently... also, much the same music in Volume 3, Naxos as Volume 2, ASV... I'm thinking that as with Naxos/Delos and Naxos/Koch International, it's at least partially a semi-reissue series. All to the good, given the very positive and intriguing reviews I saw of the original discs from the now NLA label. (National Library of No Longer Available, I mean.)