Spanish romantic symphonies and violin concertos

Started by Martin Eastick, Thursday 23 August 2012, 10:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I do agree, Peter, about the quality of J A Peacock's reviews on Amazon and have written to him...

petershott@btinternet.com

I'm not, Eric, advocating that Breton should be passed over. That would consign him to the ranks of the unsung, and unlike a few who I shall not name, that would be a cruel fate. The Piano Trio in E major is a fine and substantial work. Curious that Marco Polo / Naxos should have two attempts at it with different performers. I suggest to any Breton neophytes that they should go for the earlier Marco Polo disc. In doing so they would also acquire Breton's String Quartet in D major. The later Naxos disc has a perhaps more idiomatic performance of the Piano Trio, but it is coupled with the later (1911) Four Spanish Pieces and, given my own prejudices, I'd far prefer the String Quartet!

Alan Howe

Now that I've given it a proper listen, I've got to say that I find Breton's 2nd Symphony a fascinating take on Beethoven (specifically, the Eroica); it's also given a rather good performance in this new 2-CD set, with very good work from the often hard-pressed string section in particular. The music is generally of a sunny disposition, although this does not mean that the music is lacking in serious intent. Quite the opposite, in fact: it is precisely the sincerity of the composer's ambition here which I find so endearing. OK, it's far too long, but it's never boring because the music bowls along at a lively pace, even in the 15 minute-long finale. Not a great symphony, then; maybe not even a good one, but absolutely fascinating because it reveals what was in the mind of a Spanish composer intent on writing symphonies in the last quarter of the 19th century.

mattbrown

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/audios/musicas-de-espana/musica-espana-29-12-12/1628924/

For those who are interested there is a streaming on demand presentation of the Juli Garreta Vn cto here on RNE.

semloh

Many thanks for that link, Matt.  ;)

The Concerto actually starts after some 6 minutes into the broadcast, being preceded by another short work. It's a very fine concerto indeed, performed here with passion and precision, and I'm sure it will be greatly enjoyed by forum members. :)

It sounds like it's from a CD, otherwise we could have made it available to UC members in mp3 format.

eschiss1

hrm. score seems to be still in copyright in the US (composed after 1922 (in the last year of his life, 1925), then published later (1973 in reduction, etc.) but I don't know who's released a CD of it. Couple of full scores and parts have been published last few years, so people are serious about getting it performed- not even knowing the work yet I think that's a good thing...
Also thanks from here. Though Worldcat's being its cranky-self, I see other curiosity-impelling works listed as available in multiple publications (some in recordings, I think)- piano quartet, violin (and cello, I think) sonatas, some other orchestral works... if the violin concerto is as good as one hopes (will check soon...), there's more to look forward to, and when's that been a bad thing? :)

Ilja

If you consider buying this set, do so through Amazon's Spanish branch as their price is about half of what it is elsewhere:
http://www.amazon.es/Las-Tres-Sinfonias-Breton-Tomas/dp/B007H2KIME/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1347746074&sr=1-1-catcorr

I can't say I totally agree with Mark and Alan on the respective merits of the symphonies. I found that the Second takes a few listens to appreciate it properly, but then I already knew it before this set came out from the (somewhat better) Bragado-Darman recording (coupled with the symphonic poem Salamanca).

To me, that is Breton's orchestral masterpiece. The (shortish) symphonic poem Salamanca from 1916 is one of his last works, but it is much more unconventional and adventurous han either of the symphonies. In fact, it always reminds me of Gernsheim's Zu einem Drama, created in a comparable context (free-wheeling symphonic poem by established composer in the dusk of his career).