Complete Rheinberger chamber music on offer at jpc

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 09 August 2012, 17:24

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Alan. I haven't bought this set yet; now might be the time! I've heard members here praise Rheinberger and this set will provide me with 10 CDs worth of romantic chamber music listening. But shouldn't this go in the New Recordings board ????

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Glad this recording is back in circulation- I have probably said this already but (as similarly with Vierne) I tend to prefer this "organ composer"'s chamber music, especially his relatively passionate string quintet (with its rhapsodic, Hungarian/Gypsy finale), for instance - but also the two fine violin sonatas, the first and third piano trios (one of which seems to quote a carol in its scherzo main theme... - good recording of the two that's part of this set was available individually...)
Some of his chamber works have been recorded elsewhere - the nonet especially, the sextet (another recording on Bayer...) (arrangement of the 4th piano trio - the 4th trio unarranged does not appear in this set; for that you want an MDG recording of the trios, hopefully available on separate CDs, though I doubt it) - the aforementioned MDG recording of the trios, a Christophorus recording of the violin sonatas (Jürgen Besig/Christian Besig; includes a violin and piano arrangement/version of the opus 166 violin and organ suite; this works well- it's the recording I have. No relation to Rheinberger's own work "Christophorus"- unless that inspired the name of the label... ! )... a recording or two of the horn sonata and of the cello sonata separately, too...

(there's also a recording of the 2nd piano trio on Centaur from 2010, etc.) As to what to expect from the music, some of the works are better than others (besides the quintet and trio no.3 already mentioned I'd recommend the once very popular piano quartet and quintet, and the 2nd string quartet with its joyous closing fugue). I find the melody memorable (and somehow feel that other things I might say might be taken as d***ing with faint praise- though they would not be meant to be. Fluent, reliable, not awkward, well-formed in stress-profile (!?) - having attempted to compose and suffered compositions by others which were definitely not, that's not faint praise for me. Of course he's not one of the 4 composers in my first rank or among the fifteen(?) in my second rank, but I still listen to the works among these that I have fairly often - I'm just not that good at explaining why, it seems.)

petershott@btinternet.com

Nothing worthwhile to add to Eric's comprehensive commentary, save to offer a firm endorsement of this bulky 6 CD set. Gosh, I wish I could have bought my copy at the very generous JPC sale price! I try to refrain from the impertinence of telling others what they ought to do - but I here break my rule, for this is a set to be cherished. For the sake of securing future happiness grab it while you can! Just about all of Rheinberger's chamber works in one box in more than adequate performances. His chamber works are beautifully crafted things and provide deep pleasure. (Damn it, I'm almost wanting to squeeze Rheinberger into that first 15. But no, for someone else would have to be excluded, and that would cause anguish and misery!)

The hefty chamber works box sits on my shelves along with the equally hefty Jurg Hanselmann box of the piano music - another one to cherish.

Jonathan

You know sometimes you wish you hadn't opened up a particular thread - I now have an overwhelming urge to buy this!

Does anyone know how long the sale goes on for as I'd rather wait until after next pay day before buying.

Alan Howe

No details are available on jpc's website, unfortunately. Could sell out quite quickly...

Jonathan

Well, due to selling some CDs I no longer wanted, I bought this boxed set and it arrived yesterday.  Have yet to spin it but will let you all know my thoughts when i have done so.  Thanks for pointing this set out to me!

Alan Howe

mikehopf

Last weekend, I bought the 3 Volume set of Cobbett's Cyclopaedic Survey of Chamber Music in a library sale.

It was the best 2 dollars that I have ever spent!

Expecting a dry summary of compositions, I was delighted to find that it consisted mainly of anecdotes and personal opinions - not always PC as this was the 1929 edition - by such luminaries as Tovey, Blom, Brod, Boult, Casella, Dent, Dunhill, Farjeon, Grew, d'Indy, Mavkenzie ( both Sir Alex & Compton) , Pijper, Schmitt, Scott, Walthew et al.

Anyway, to return to our sheep, the entry on Rheinberger praises to the skies his Theme & Variations for String Quartet Op.93 as" one of the grandest passacaglias ever written... which no quartet society should neglect ".

Not being able to trace a commercial recording of this work, I eventually found it on Youtube ( also not always PC!) and IT IS A TRULY GREAT WORK.

I am looking forward to following more of Cobbett's recommendations in the future!

eschiss1

The theme and variations are included in the Thorofon set. Probably the same recording as the YouTube, or so I'm guessing?... well, maybe not... hopefully someone else has taken it up :) (They were originally included with the piano trio no.2 in A, op.112, and nonet op.139 on a 1989 CD from that label.)