Which unsungs are on their way to becoming 'sung' - and vice versa?

Started by Ilja, Friday 07 September 2012, 14:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

I don't think Berwald's been mentioned on this thread. (Maybe because he's not absolutely definitely "sung". When I first heard of him in Summer '87 and first heard a work of his sometime around 1988-9, he was pretty unsung. By comparison to -then- his symphonies at least are well-known now :))

Maury

These borderline composers can ebb and flow. Back in the 60s and 70s there was a fair bit of Berwald issued on the major labels EMI and Decca in both the US and UK as well as budget labels  Nonesuch and Turnabout. If memory serves there were even LP boxes of Berwald. The Grand Septet was a well known work and I think played in the US and all the symphonies were recorded multiple times. I am not sure how often the symphonies were programmed in the US but I assume at least occasionally in Europe. By the early 80s I agree that his name disappeared mostly, certainly in the US. Sic transit gloria mundi. I don't really consider him Unsung but just IMO.

Alan Howe

Berwald is one of those composers of whose mastery we need continual reminders lest, having been rediscovered, he falls into neglect once again. As Maury says, he's on the border of the public's consciousness. I certainly wouldn't consider him sufficiently sung not to be worthy of discussion here.