Bortkiewicz - ein lyrisches intermezzo for violin and Orchestra opus 44

Started by Cheah SC, Tuesday 15 July 2014, 06:20

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Thank you all for such an interesting series of exchanges. The prospect of hearing some 'lost' Bortkiewicz is one to relish!  :)

MHBallan

Christopher

I shall check my records regards the performance of Acrobats and let you know as soon as possible.

Malcolm

Christopher

Malcolm Henbury-Ballan (MHBallan on here) has been kind enough to send me his DAT-format cassette on which this Lyrical Intermezzo was recorded, together with a number of other Bortkiewicz works (see below).  I have transferred them to MP3 format and put in the Downloads section. According to Malcolm all come from the archives of Austrian Radio and were recorded in the 1940s and 1950s.  I hope you enjoy.  Many thanks to Malcolm!

Des Frühlings und des Pans Erwachen - ein lyrisches Intermezzo nach Gemälden von Sandro Botticelli, Op.44

Aus der Kinderzeit, Op.39 - arr. string orchestra

Im 3/4 Takt

Overture to a Fairytale Opera, Op.53

Elegie, Op.46 arr. cello & piano

Berceuse for violin & piano

Piano Concerto No.1 in B♭ major, Op.16

Piano Sonata No.2 in C♯ minor, Op.60

Etude No.6, Op.15

The arrangements are the composer's own.

Ilja

Christopher, thanks for these.

The final movement of the piano concerto appears to be very heavily cut (to my ears it sounds as though it was primarly the sound engineer who was responsible), and sparsely arranged if I compare it to the Hyperion recording.

Richard Moss

Belated reply to Aramierz,

I didn't have  a copy of Op 44 prior to this exciting upload.  I had a couple of 'synthesised' orchestral works on CDs from Mr Thadani but this wasn't included. I'm sorry I missed replying to your post of Nov 2014 - I hadn't noticed it, rather than I was deliberately ignore it.

Many tks Christopher for both the upload and the research /good work by all that made it possible - looking forward to a good listen!

Richard

Christopher

My top Bortkiewicz goal would be for the (reported) recording of Die Akrobaten to be found!