Hans Gal String Trios on Avie

Started by kenwoodscc, Friday 28 September 2012, 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

kenwoodscc

Some of you may be interested to know that Avie have just released the complete string trios of Hans Gal.

And, this time, no Schubert or Schumann to contend with (what is they say about leading horses to water?), but two string trios by Gal's contemporary, Hans Krasa.

The Gal's frame his career quite nicely- the Serenade was written at the height of his pre-War fame and success, the Trio in F sharp minor comes from the 1970's and is truly music in a "late" style. Wonderful stuff.

Available here (and everywhere else)

http://www.mdt.co.uk/gal-hans-and-hans-krasa-string-trios-ensemble-epomeo-avie.html

petershott@btinternet.com

Just by sheer utter coincidence I'd just inserted this CD into the player and was having a first 'run through' (before more concentrated listening this evening) when your post appeared on the site.

Bravo Ken! First impression is that the CD is a quite stupendous little cracker. I'm much enjoying the Gal Op 41 Serenade and the Op 104 Trio. Super works, and I haven't come across a Gal piece that fails to make me delight in admiration for it.

And I didn't know, Ken, you were a rather splendid cellist in addition to a conductor of the Gal symphonies (and other works of course).

Hugely grateful thanks to you for your invaluable role in the revival of interest in Hans Gal. Just think of it: only a couple of years ago I was aware of Gal as an academic much esteemed in musical life in Edinburgh and author of books, bristling with intelligence, on Brahms and Schubert. I'd never heard any of the 100 plus works he had composed. I note Grove talks of "a tireless flow of classically constructed, glowing-toned pieces, finely crafted, courteous, orderly, and unhurried in their musical discourse". That view is utterly right, and his music has brought a great deal of pleasure to me. Thus the disc of String Trios is hugely welcome. (Wonder if we'll ever hear the early operas - now that would be very interesting!)

eschiss1

As to the discmate, I think I've heard Gideon Klein's string trio (1944, a very fine and memorable work) but not yet Krasa's (though a familiar name for other reasons!)

kenwoodscc

Glad to hear that you've checked out the CD, Peter. Thanks for listening, and hope it continues to please!