The Romantic Piano Concerto, Vol. 59 – Zarzycki & Zelenski

Started by Christianv12, Wednesday 12 December 2012, 15:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

It'll be particularly great to have a major concertante work by Zelenski.

Mark Thomas

thalbergmad

This is indeed superb news as the existing recordings are not of the highest quality.

I cannot imagine being swept away by the Zarzycki, but I am certain the Zelenski will more than make up for it. A grand work of Schyttian power and majesty and a tough workout for the pianist.

Thal

semloh

The Hyperion Zelenski/Zarzycki CD was first announced here in the "Hyperion Romantic Piano Concertos" thread on 9th June, and Mark was beginning a new thread specific to that recording. I haven't checked that out, but we are perhaps duplicating threads a little.

The Zelenski PC was available from our Downloads board at one time, courtesy of our old friend Marek (much missed), but the link has been deleted. The details are in the "Polish Symphonics" thread, reply #14, dated 25th September 2011.

I'm happy to upload it if anyone wants it.  I think the performance and recording are rather good!  ;)

JimL

As I recall, the Zarzycki PC is probably the 2nd and 3rd movements of a concerto in F minor that was left incomplete because the composer never got around to starting the first movement.  If I'm not mistaken the finale is in F minor or F Major, which would indicate that this is the case.

markniew

good news, indeed! and also nice coupling.
myself I regularly visit UC forum and still missing the previous open formula.

As I mentioned earlier there existed only one historical recording of the Zarzycki's concerto made in 50s by Józef Śmidowicz.
Quite recently the piece got its new recording for Polish Radio archive. It was on the air ca. 6 weeks ago. I got it off radio but with some distortions (due to my sofware? poor transmission?). It was played by Wojciech Świtała, Polish Radio Orchestra under Łukasz Borowicz.
We all awaiting the performance by Plowright but in case of interest I can upload this new registration of Zarzycki's.

JimL

Mark Thomas

FBerwald

thalbergmad

I was expecting to be excited about the concertos, but the real hit for me was the Grand Polonaise Op.7 by Zarzycki.

If you took the Chopin Op.22 and injected it with steroids and then sent it to the gym for 6 months, you might get something near the Zarzycki. In fact, it is probably closer to the Blahetka Op.19. It does have quieter and lyrical moments, but this is a showstopper.

Coupled with the usual Hyperion sound and the fingers of Mr Plowright, this is the most excitement I have had since the Melcer issue.

Thal