Georg Schumann Preis-Symphonie

Started by Martin Eastick, Thursday 23 August 2012, 10:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

But mostly infuriating. I'm afraid that his style irritates me hugely, even when he's praising something.

FBerwald

In the end it doesn't matter. It's discerning listeners like all the members of this forum that count. Infact I advice all my friend to disregard the reviews of the so called "Critic" who think that music outside the sphere of the great B's or S's are worthless. UNSUNG MUSIC is here to STAY ... thanks in big parts to Our forum. If it wasn't for unsungcomposers I wouldn't have heard of Rufinatscha.

eschiss1

Given the economics (to speak blithely, superficially and over-simplistically) of even co-producing and then retaining in one's active catalogue discs like this I expect that critics' opinions matter a lot, in point of fact. (They seem to have affected Hans Rott and Hugo Wolf, if memory serves, though perhaps it doesn't. If they can affect the whole output of those composers I'm sure they can affect whether or not CDs like this one stay on the market or continue to be produced, co-produced , etc.)

What is this "in the end" you speak of?

Alan Howe

In the final analysis, Hurwitz's review may not matter to us, but I tend to agree with Eric: the reality is that these critics are widely read and probably pretty influential. The good thing, however, is that a site such as MusicWeb is also widely read and usually much more open to unsung music. So it is essential to take in a range of opinions - including our own on this forum, of course!

And btw, Bruch's symphonies are glorious, Mr Hurwitz!

Peter1953

Hurwitz isn't that negative about Schumann's Preis-Symphonie, but what irritates me is "... the Leipzig tradition, the school responsible for some of the dullest, most academic junk in the history of music, and not just in Germany." and "... Bruch or one of his ilk." Mr Know It All speaks.
At least he made me curious about Schumann's 2nd.

petershott@btinternet.com

Yes, a kind of egomania: the world must conform to my own particular likes, and if I don't like it then it doesn't count and is simply rubbish.

I fear Eric and Alan are right: such published views do matter and they affect what Mr Public considers good and worthwhile - and that in turn affects what is scheduled for public performance, or broadcast, or recorded.

FBerwald, whose views generally strike me as good ones, I'm afraid is far too optimistic. Yes, folk like us are (hopefully!) discerning - but we're in a pretty small majority.

petershott@btinternet.com

Oops, the brain has gone befuddled. I meant, of course, 'minority' in the last post!!

eschiss1

IIRC,  a review of Mr. Hurwitz's some years back in Fanfare put me back on Haydn's piano trios when everyone else seemed to want to put me _off_ them, for instance, for which I am most grateful. 
As to Georg Schumann's F minor symphony (op.42, not op.41 as I may have written), I think the full score is at IMSLP. And - well - minority of a minority is an even more salient point, in my honest but subjective opinion.

(Has the B minor symphony been published yet, even if recently, or was it performed from a typeset form of the manuscript not yet available for more general inspection? ... performed from manuscript I don't find credible so I don't leave that in the list of options, unless Georg Schumann was extraordinarily clean in his manuscripts :D )

(Oh- hrm. Worldcat gives Schumann: Preis Symphonie.
"Berlin, Bukarest Planegg bei München Smaranda Music"
Orchestration: 2(Picc).2.2.2.-4.2.3.0.,Pk, Str
but no publication date.

eschiss1

bulleid_pacific

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Wednesday 10 October 2012, 13:44
Not to the point, but this mirthful wag can't help but make mention of the enthusiastic customer on Amazon.co.uk who has submitted reviews of the CPO discs of Gilse symphonies. Try the review of Gilse 4 for starters.

"No conflict what so ever, only pleasant sounds. Some bird chants, some cows mowing and some cheese making."

This is quite hilarious - I've no idea what cheese making sounds like when depicted in music.  Can we expect an undiscovered "Edam" Symphony by Gilse?  And as for mowing cows - the mind boggles.....

Seriously, though - I do applaud those, including the present reviewer, who take the trouble to write reviews in other than their native tongue.  As someone else in this thread suggested, most of us would make a pretty poor fist of a review in Dutch.....