Reissiger: 3 Sonatas

Started by mikehopf, Friday 12 October 2012, 05:30

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

Here's another goodie!

Reissiger: Three Sonatas / Carlo Jans, Daniel Blumenthal
CD / Pavane / 1997-08-10
PVN 7392

Works: Reissiger, Karl Gottlieb : Sonata for Violin and Piano in B minor, Op. 45; Reissiger, Karl Gottlieb : Sonata Brillante for Violin and Piano, Op. 185; Reissiger, Karl Gottlieb : Grande Sonata for Violin and Piano in B minor, Op. 190...

mikehopf

Stranger and stranger...

These 3 works although listed as for Violin and Piano are played here on the flute ( one of my least favourite instruments!) What a swizz!

eschiss1

I think at least one of them may have been originally so intended, but the composer allowed flute as an alternative for some of them; they're not listed as for violin and piano, but for "violin (or flute)" or "for flute (or violin)" etc. and piano, depending... (again, memory serves; would have to check the scores as I can find them, Reißiger as  published by Pfeil, etc.)

There's other music by Reissiger on CD (piano quartets, for instance) if the flute turns a person off as much as some things (not flute sound) do me.

Op.45 can be played on violin, flute or cello, and I think accompaniments for all three were released in ca.1828 by Laue. Not sure  whether the instrumentation of opp.185, A minor and 190, B minor (pub 1847, 1850, by Peters ) was as flexible.

eschiss1

Ah. The Worldcat description of this 1997 CD says that they are indeed adaptations (contemporary - by Fürstenau - for Op.45, by the flutist for the other two sonatas).