BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Piano concertos

Started by giles.enders, Thursday 17 June 2010, 11:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

And what a discovery indeed!

thalbergmad

I have just been left in a state of shock after listening to the 1st Piano Concerto by Nicolas Flagello.

I had not read up on the composer and was not expecting late romanticism (albeit complex) from a composer born in 1928.

Would recommend this to those who might not have heard this yet.

Concertingly.

Thal

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: thalbergmad on Wednesday 06 April 2011, 22:29
I have just been left in a state of shock after listening to the 1st Piano Concerto by Nicolas Flagello.

I had not read up on the composer and was not expecting late romanticism (albeit complex) from a composer born in 1928.

Would recommend this to those who might not have heard this yet.

Concertingly.

Thal

Oh yes - I discovered Flagello only very recently; he has something interesting to say and some very beautiful and dramatic ways of saying it.  John McLaughlin Williams pointed me to him - he told me he regards him as a major voice with an "original and powerful emotive style".  Try the Violin Concerto too - it's wonderful.

alberto

I would share the praise for Nicolas Flagello. Luckily Naxos has given listeners like me two records and a half  with no work negligible (at least I've got two and a half).
A (minor? major? I would say "good") master with great craft.
In 1964 he also arranged (with much flair and skill), conducted and recorded (in Wien) a bunch of Italian and Neapolitan songs for/with tenor Richard Tucker. On that occasion Flagello added a song of his own, "La bella aurora" (CD "The soul of Italy", Sony SMK 66309: an irresistible record for me, not partcularly keen on Italian or Italianate tenors).