Gustav Jenner - Trio for clarinet, horn and piano (1900)

Started by JeremyMHolmes, Tuesday 23 October 2012, 12:51

Previous topic - Next topic

JeremyMHolmes

I was very struck by this piece this morning on Through the Night, and had not come across the composer before (although I see a few mentions of him on other threads here). If anyone is interested, this piece is well worth a listen on iplayer.

eschiss1

The recording of the trio they broadcast is one of a few it's received, a CBC (Canadian Broadcasting) recording released commercially in 2000.  Thanks for the headsup re this iPlayer broadcast (until a week from now, anycase :) ) - I have heard good things about his music but except of course for the Serenade for orchestra (LP) that's in archived downloads, I haven't heard a thing by this (one and only?) pupil of Brahms.

petershott@btinternet.com

Cornelius Uwe Gustav Jenner (1865-1920). The Trio (in E flat for piano, horn, clarinet) dating from 1900 is on CPO 999-699-2. Yes - it is a fine and enjoyable piece.

The CPO disc (I think it is a double, but haven't looked) also contains String Quartets 1-3 (dating from 1907, 1910, and 1911) and the F major Piano Quartet from 1905.

All very fine works. Another "hats off, gentlemen" to CPO!. Maybe - I don't know - the CPO disc is now deleted or unobtainable?

JeremyMHolmes

Alas, Peter, the CPO CD set is no longer available, unless one is prepared to pay an outrageous price for it in amazon market place (both amazon.co.uk and amazon.de). JPC no longer stock it, and it is not available as a download on the Chandos classicalshop site (which now carries a lot of more recent cpo to download).
The Trio is available on an MDG CD, along with the Clarinet Sonata, so I have ordered that, and will keep my eyes peeled in second hand shops for the CPO set.