News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Dorothy Howell

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Friday 30 April 2010, 14:13

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

There's an interesting report about the discovery of some Doroth Howells archives, including music manuscripts, at:

http://www.birminghampost.net/life-leisure-birmingham-guide/birmingham-culture/music-in-birmingham/2010/08/27/the-lost-archive-of-our-own-strauss-dorothy-howell-65233-27135490/

The two photos of DH are charming ... but my inner pedant recoils at the attribution of the poem Lamia to "Keates"!  ::)

Leea25

Very interesting indeed! I feel that if I also had a 'windowed' mother, I would find moving to Letchworth equally helpful... they know their windows there... :)

Gareth Vaughan

Hmm. Not a very literary (or literate) - or, indeed, musical - person, Mr Matt Lloyd (the reporter). Not only does poor old Keats get burdened with an additional 'e' (to say nothing of the 'windowed' mother, which, to be fair, must be a typo) but he feels it necessary to tell his readers that the Promenade Concerts are still with us!

Jimfin

To be fair, this was written for a very mainstream paper, with an audience with probably not a high average IQ or level of education, and sadly there are many people who don't know about the proms, or only know the Last Night. Quite good in a way for those people to be aware that composers can (a) come from the UK, and even Birmingham and (b) be female.

petershott@btinternet.com

Entirely fair and reasonable points, Jimfin. Maybe we should refrain from condemning the reporter: he doubtless has a qualification in journalism and media studies from one of the more prestigious ex-polytechnics in the UK, and is trying his best. The article appeared in a daily regional paper rather than some learned journal, and if it reached out to a wide readership and thereby created some interest in composers who have been pushed to the wayside by subsequent history and fashion then that is surely good. Maybe a few Brummies read the article, wondered at it, and then sought out the rather lovely Dutton disc of Dorothy Howells' work for violin and piano?

Remember also that Birmingham, in spite of the current noise, stink, grime, and concrete has had a wonderful musical history - especially with choral works in the 19th century. And there is now the CBSO, Symphony Hall, a wealth of chamber music, regular visits of Welsh National Opera, and many many enthusiastic Brummies quite passionate about their music. Not a bad track record. In spite of windowed mothers and 'Keates' (the Guardian, for example, often does much worse), I thought the article both good and interesting for a local paper. Besides, I once lived in an area where the local paper ran an article on film music and happily talked about Tchaikovsky's film music. That shows a level of ignorance far more crass than the Birmingham article!

But I can sense Alan, red pen in hand, hovering behind my back, and growling: "...and Dorothy Howells?"

Leea25

Speaking of Birmingham composers, and apologies for it being slightly off topic, but I had the great pleasure of hearing the premiere of Andrew Downes's Horn Concerto last night. Marvelous piece!

Back to topic! I live in Birmingham and had no idea there was even an exhibition about Dorothy Howell. They're not very good at publicising things in this city sometimes. I wonder if there is a complete catalogue of her works anywhere? Maybe when the new library opens and they have a bit more space, they can put on a larger one to do her justice, and tell people about it! I even know Ursula a bit, who was featured in the article, and she didn't say anything! :)