News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hugo Alfvén

Started by John Hudock, Friday 12 March 2010, 17:35

Previous topic - Next topic

John Hudock

I have been spending the morning re-listening to Hugo Alfven (1872-1960). The music is wonderful, especially the 5 symphonies and the three Swedish Rhapsodies (of which, the 1st is probably his most popular and one of the few of his works that could be considered 'mainstream'). Gorgeous melodies and rich, lush orchestrations.  I believe that most of the orchestral works are recorded, but the Hugo Alfven Society (http://www.alfvensallskapet.se/Everk.htm) also lists several large scale choral/vocal works, a few chamber works and a collection of songs of which I am aware of only a few having been recorded (Sterling has also recorded several cantatas and BIS has recorded several of the songs and smaller choral works), most notably "The Lord's Prayer" for chorus, soloists and orchestra. There is also a recording of his violin sonata. I haven't heard either. I will be adding them to my collection.

petershott@btinternet.com

Yes, wonderful composer, John. But are you just making a comment, asking a question...or just transmitting your enthusiasm for Alfven? And nothing wrong with the latter!

Peter

John Hudock

Just transmitting an enthusiasm (spurred by listening to his works this morning), opening a thread for any other members who can expand on his life and music or share their enthusiasm for Alfven's work. I did do a quick search and noticed he hadn't been discussed here before and thought it was about time.

TerraEpon

A while back I bought each of the BIS Alfven CDs indivudually, then went and also bought the box rerelease as a nice replacement (shrinks the space of five CDs down to two). I share the enthusiasm -- there's also a very good disc of a couple film score suites on Naxos (also with some other orchestral piece).

Alan Howe

I'm just revisiting Alfvén after a a long gap, starting with his 2nd Symphony (1899) which has an earworm of a main theme in the first movement. Reminds me how good he was at writing memorable tunes.

There's a typically lively, yet sensitive performance from Neeme Järvi on BIS which can be sampled here:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7937671--alfven-symphony-no-2-swedish-rhapsody-no-1

There's also apparently a very fine recording on Naxos (which I haven't heard):
https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-6989/?search=1

Wheesht

Revisiting Alfvén sounds like a good idea - thanks! I have the Järvi BIS CD plus the 1972 recording with the Stockholm Philharmonic conducted by Leif Segerstam on Swedish Society Discofil. The total timing at 49:33 is a good 3 minutes less than the Järvi, it is in the first and second movements that Segerstam is considerably faster. Now I'm going to listen to compare.

Ilja

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 05 November 2020, 11:49
I'm just revisiting Alfvén after a a long gap, starting with his 2nd Symphony (1899) which has an earworm of a main theme in the first movement. Reminds me how good he was at writing memorable tunes.

There's a typically lively, yet sensitive performance from Neeme Järvi on BIS which can be sampled here:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7937671--alfven-symphony-no-2-swedish-rhapsody-no-1

There's also apparently a very fine recording on Naxos (which I haven't heard):
https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-6989/?search=1

To top it off, cpo is currently working on a series with Łukasz Borowicz and the DSO Berlin. The first two releases (Symphonies 1 & 3, plus a selection of other orchestral works) are very promising. Their 3rd is currently my favorite, particularly because of Borowicz' handling of the slow movement.

hyperdanny

@Alan
I've long had the Naxos Alfven 2 , and I much prefer it to Jarvi's.
I feel that Willem 's more measured tempi and more careful balances  reveal a lot of profundity and mistery in the music, whereas Jarvi's is just ....too Jarvi.
It's exciting, but it sounds brusque and matter-of-fact to me.
Plus, Willem has a more refined orchestra, and is much better recorded,
I frankly find  the early BIS sound way too harsh and shouty, and unbalanced toward the brass.
As a sidenote, I also have an absolutely insane recording by Svetlanov on PhonoSuecia, where he stretches the symphony to Brucknerian (or, if you prefer, Celibidachian) lenghts.

Alan Howe

Very interesting. I must obviously get hold of Willén's recording!

Mark Thomas

Quotecpo is currently working on a series with Łukasz Borowicz and the DSO Berlin
How do the Naxos and still-incomplete cpo cycles compare, Ilja? I still have just the Järvi on Bis, which sounds as if it's been superseded.

Ilja

If I focus on the Third for a moment, I think the best way of expressing it is by saying that Borowicz tackles it as a romantic piece, while Willén emphasizes its more modern aspects. I appreciate that they dare to make a choice here, there's a good point to be made for either approach, and I like owning both; they really enhance one another. Sonically, he cpo comes across as a lot crisper to my unsophisticated ears; the Naxos can become a bit muddy, particularly in tutti.

Järvi's recording is beginning to show its age and having listened to both these new ones, I'm reminded that while Järvi can be a great conductor sometimes, at other moments he uses this gimmick of letting the dynamics of the music do the interpretation for him. Loud louder, fast faster. That's very much going on in his version of the 3rd Alfvén.

Mark Thomas

Thanks, Ilja, that's really helpful. I clearly need to think about supplementing my Järvi cycle.

regriba

Järvi's Alfven 2 was the very first CD I ever bought after taking the leap from LPs, so it has some sentimental value for me. That said, I agree with much that has been said here, including the sound quality of the old recordings. I don't know the Willen cycle, but what I have heard of the cpo I like a lot. It has clarity and freshness. But I still think Järvi is very good in some of the tone poems, where his approach works better for me. I find the Legend of the Skerries (Skärgårdssägen) very atmospheric and the Uppsala and Dalecarlian Rhapsodies fun and upbeat.

semloh

Wheesht, have you had a chance to make that comparison between Järvi and Segerstam yet? I'd be interested in your views.

Wheesht

Here are my impressions, for what they're worth.

First an overview of the timings:

1. Moderato – Segerstam 11'09 Järvi 14'41
2. Andante – Segerstam 15'30 Järvi 12'13
3. Allegro – Segerstam 5'57 Järvi 9'28
4. Preludium. Adagio – Fuga. Allegro Energico Segerstam 16'40 [the timing of 15'44 given in the booklet is wrong] – Järvi 16'29 [the BIS CD has two tracks here, the Preludio 6'16 and the Fuga 10'12).

While the BIS recording from 1987 has a wider dynamic range, it also sounded a bit harsh to me at times, and I found the 1972 Phono Suecia recording had surprisingly good sound.

I can't seem to make up my mind over which recording I prefer, I enjoy them both. The Swedish Society disc contains just the Symphony of course while the BIS CD also has the lovely Midsommarvaka (Swedish Rhapsody no. 1) op. 19.
What I found interesting above all was the comparison of the tempi in the first two movements. I had expected the Järvi to be noticeably slower in the Moderato and the Segerstam in the Andante, but in both cases I had the impression that it was just the slower parts that were played more slowly, if that makes any sense. In the first movement Segerstam seems to hold tighter reins whereas Järvi puts in more variation between faster and slower.