Prince Heinrich XXIV Reuss-Köstritz (1855-1910) (Reuss)

Started by khorovod, Monday 23 August 2010, 23:11

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Probably not. Symphony 3 has only 3 movements.
1. Poco adagio (followed by fast something?)
2. Andante un poco sostenuto
3. Allegro vivace.

Alan Howe

No, it's in four movements, as follows:

1. Poco adagio - Allegro passionato con brio
2. Andante un poco sostenuto (B major)
3. Allegretto un poco mosso  (B minor)
4. Allegro vivace (E minor)

So, what we have on YouTube, as Mark correctly surmises, are the two middle movements. I have just confirmed this from the musical examples given in Stolle's biography, p.248. I have also added a correction to my first post on this symphony.

eschiss1

Oh, sorry. Maybe someone should inform Fleisher collection of the discrepancy...

Alan Howe

Justin

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 27 January 2021, 17:52
A commercial recording of the 3rd Symphony was made in 1992, published by Engelsmann Life Records GmbH - whether the above is taken from that recording is not clear.

Was this a private recording? I can't find any mention of it online.

Alan Howe

Stolle says that the recording was included in the CD 'Die Silbermann-Orgel auf Schloss Burgk und ihr musikalisches Umfeld' (='The Silbermann Organ at Burgk Castle and its Musical Context').

I imagine that this was a locally produced CD with limited circulation. Maybe only the two middle movements were ever recorded?

Reverie

Lovely to hear some more beautifully written Reuss. The comments with the youtube are interesting. No there isn't much "sturm und drang" but to be quite honest  I can only listen to so much Mahler these days. This music lowers my blood pressure which can only be a good thing  :D

eschiss1

Ah. A search for the full title of the CD does turn up something, actually...

this has a full contents listing, including

"Andante; Allegro; Presto, aus Dritte Sinfonie e-Moll op. 28 / Heinrich XXIV. j.L. Prinz Reuss."

So yep. (Presto?)

Justin

matesic

Nobody seems to have mentioned this piano trio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd1I50qZ8tk
It starts well - I'll see how I feel about it at the end!

Alan Howe

eschiss1

About symphony no.3, I have received an email from the Special Collections Music Curator  at Fleisher (just now) about symphony no.3 confirming the Stolle information (and containing extracts of score that I could save and reupload, the woodwind upper parts of the third movement, and the printed older catalog entry for the symphony):

"An examination of the actual printed score, however, matches the Stolle description you shared. The cataloger missed the third movement starting on page 60 and mislabeled the fourth movement as the third. Thank you for your message. I shall forward information to our cataloging department."

Alan Howe