Gouvy Symphonies vol.4 from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 13 December 2012, 07:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

My copy arrived yesterday and I settled down to listen to it immediately. Much as I have enjoyed all of Gouvy's music which I've heard, for the first time I experienced a distinct sense of ennui. Not that the three symphonies on the disc don't share all the admirable characteristics which Alan outlines, they do. In fact, that's rather the point: they are virtually indistinguishable, although they were written across a span of over 20 years. I'm looking a gift horse (indeed, three gift horses) in the mouth, I know, but I do think that this CD illustrates very well Gouvy's limitations as a composer as effectively as it does his strengths. These three symphonies are individually delightful, beautifully orchestrated, tightly constructed and melodically memorable but, despite the fact that two of them aren't in the conventional four movements, Gouvy's style didn't develop noticeably in any essential area. Listen to the CD in one sitting and the symphonies quite loose their individuality. Best to enjoy their charms one at a time.

Alan Howe

Actually, Mark, I do think that the Fantaisie Symphonique sounds later than the 4th Symphony - some of the brass writing in particular is rather heavier, I thought.

Mark Thomas

Possibly, I'd have to listen again to check that, but my overriding impression is that he found his style in the 1850s and pretty much stuck with it.

eschiss1

FBerwald

Would anyone who received the CD kindly post the track listings. Its frustrating listening to the samples on CPO website without knowing what is what...

eschiss1

Here you are -- track listings (found by google searching gouvy intermezzo larghetto) though I sort of suspect "Rodo" towards the end is a typo. (For Rodeo, I suppose!)

FBerwald

Is the Fantaisie Symphonique just 1:38 sec? must be a typo.

eschiss1

The Fantasie's other recording, on Sterling, is tripartite, Grave (13:25) - Adagio (5:56) - Alla breve (6:10), so yes, I'm guessing that's a typo. Hopefully the rest is more or less accurate though now I begin to have my doubts and should have earlier. Sorry about that...

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Tracks 1-4: Symphony No.4 (27:20)
Tracks 5-11: Symphonie brève (14:05)
Tracks 12-14: Fantaisie Symphonique (21:45)

JimL

I noted that the performing forces are the same as those in the download of the 4th in our archives.  Do we have to remove that entry, or do you think that this is a studio performance, separate from the live concert from which our download was drawn?

eschiss1

I'm guessing a somewhat different recording, in fact I think the one we have lacks a first movement repeat and I'm guessing the one  on cpo has it judging from the serious difference in total timings. By 10:20 in (is that right?) the first movement is ending on cpo I gather and on the other recording, we're well into the second movement (which ends at 12:23 in- the second movement, that is- instead of 15:18 for the two first movements on cpo?). Will compare the other timings though...

(Really striking first movement. Onslow's D minor symphony's first movement gives me a somewhat similar feeling of "I liked his music but hadn't heard something quite like this from him before", I think.)
Total length- 24:19 including pauses, not including applause (3 minutes' difference)
first movement of uploaded recording - 7:32.
scherzo - 4:51 or so.
slow movement starts at 12:34, ends at 18:04 (5:30)
finale - ca.6:12 in length (then 27 seconds applause.) Very different timings from at least what my link claims are @ the cpo recording - someone who actually has the cpo recording can confirm (or not...)
-Eric

Mark Thomas

They are different performances, I think, and so as far as I'm concerned the upload can stay.

FBerwald

I believe this list solves the mystery of the Gouvy Symphonies - 7 or 9... etc.

Mark Thomas

That's very useful, thanks. Would you be able to upload the rest of Gouvy's catalogue, or point us to it?