News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Camillo Schumann

Started by JimL, Saturday 13 March 2010, 15:47

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

An email from Naxos of their new releases supplied information on the following composer on a disc of cello and piano works:

SCHUMANN, CAMILLO 
(1872 - 1946)

I wonder if he was a cousin or nephew of Robert?  He has a catalogue of over 300 works in almost all genres, much of which is unpublished.

chill319

From the German Wikipedia:

Camillo Schumann was the son of Königstein civic music director Clemens Schumann, senior, (1839-1918) and the younger brother of the composer Georg Schumann. Other siblings were Alfred Schumann (1868-1891), erstwhile concertmaster of the Bremen Philharmonic Orchestra, and Clemens Schumann, junior, (1876-1938), violinist from 1900 to 1936 in the Dresden Staatskapelle.

Like his brothers, Camillo Schumann received his first lessons on several instruments from his father during early childhood, From 1889 to 1893, he was enrolled at the Dresden Conservatory (briefly), then at the Leipzig Conservatory, where he studied with Carl Reinecke, Salomon Jadassohn, Bruno Zwintscher, Paul Homeyer and others. This was followed by study with Woldemar Bargiel and Robert Radecke in Berlin during 1894 and 1895.

During his time in Berlin Schumann served as a substitute organist in some of the larger churches. On 1 October 1896, he accepted the position as full-time organist at the main church of St. George in Eisenach and Wartburg Castle at the local chapel. In 1906 he was awarded the title Grand Ducal Saxon music director and organist. In Eisenach Schumann mounted a number of organ and chamber concerts  - sometimes with the participation of his brothers Georg and Clemens.

In April 1914 he moved to Bad Gottleuba, taking over some church music commitments near his home, but devoting himself increasingly to his compositional work. Schumann died in Bad Gottleuba on 29 December 1946. His grave still exists today.

JimL

That was quoted on the Naxos website almost word for word.  I copied it and was going to paste it on my first post but thought better of it because I was worried about some kind of copyright infringement.  I'm just wondering if the Konigstein Schumanns were any relation to Robert, say cousins, or something?

Alan Howe

Dunno. But it's a pretty common German surname...

JimL

Probably not, then.  Still, looks like poor ol' Bob and his wife weren't the only musical Schumanns operating in Germany during the 19th Century.

eschiss1

Being picky I'm guessing Camillo, like relative Georg, worked mostly in the 20th century actually, but may be mistaken. (From Georg Schumann I've heard only some - rather good - motets but hope to hear more. Seem to recall skimming a chamber work in the Flonzaley Quartet collection at New York Public Library too, but not positive.)

Marcus

A few years ago, MDG released a 2CD set of Camillo Schumann's Organ Sonatas 1-6. This is still available from JPC.
There are some other minor works available from most retailers, so the Naxos disc will be welcome.
Marcus.

Alan Howe

"Will be welcome" is right. It's currently only available as a download.