News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Alfred Hill

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 22 March 2013, 14:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I've posted four recently acquired recordings of hard-to-find works by Alfred Hill in the Downloads board and added to the post links to my earlier uploads of some of his symphonies.

Mark Thomas

I've now added the Piano Concerto, which I had neglected to include in the original post.

Gauk

Considering my mother was was Australian, Hill has always been someone I would like to like, but the old Marco Polo recordings seemed to me to be really rather tedious. I'll be listening to these for sure, though! Many thanks.

Gareth Vaughan

I'd love to hear a good modern recording of his viola concerto - a fine piece, IMHO.

JimL

The viola concerto is a fine piece.  BTW, its final movement is marked 'Decisivo', with a quarter note=95 BPM.  I already inquired.

Mark Thomas

Thank you, Jim. Decisivo, not Deciso?

semloh

Hill's symphonic poem, The Lost Hunter, representing a nightmare and dream had by said hunter whilst awaiting rescue, was aired on ABC Classic FM this weekend. The presenter suggested - rather oddly to my ears - that it would make a good ballet!

JimL

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Saturday 23 March 2013, 17:48
Thank you, Jim. Decisivo, not Deciso?
Here is the reply I got from the librarian:

To: jblev10@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Library Enquiry
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 00:46:11 +0000

Dear James,

Thank you for your library enquiry.

Our copy of the piano reduction of this work is simply marked "Decisivo" at the start.

We have a recording of the work (Robert Pikler, viola, with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra) and I've listened to it with a metronome. The performance is at approximately 'quarter note = 95'.

I hope this is of help.

Best,

James

Mark Thomas

How odd, but what a helpful reply. Isn't Decisivo Spanish, rather than Italian? Hill used Deciso in at least one of his other works. Thanks, Jim.

alberto

"Decisivo" exists both in Italian and Spanish, with the same meaning: "conclusive" (but in the meaning of "crucial", not "final, the last of a series").
"Deciso" is like "risoluto" (in A.Hill, Quartet n.5, I, Allegro risoluto), "resolute".

Mark Thomas

Thanks, Alberto. We live and learn.

JimL

Which is still kind of odd.  I wonder if James at the Australian Library misread it?  ???

Mark Thomas

Yes, I wondered that too, but it's really not that important, is it?

eschiss1

This also has "Decisivo", btw. (Hrm! And it's nice to see that the viola concerto will be played next month, if I understand that rightly :) )