Music by Max d'Ollone (1875-1959)

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 22 January 2013, 16:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

I remember a review of a CD of his music awhile back- maybe it was the Pierre Verany CD of a trio and some quartets that was released back in 1999, maybe something else; there have been a few. Seemed intriguing yes. (Apparently a CD has also been released of his Mélodies, another of a large poem for violin and orchestra, and a recent one of piano music - these three it seems with , according to some libraries, not much publication information?? (or at least the violin/orchestra Le Menetrier didn't) and the others with Paris assumed but not specified, "EuropéArt : distrib. Intégral distribution", the rest in brackets...

besides the others mentioned and some others in which a work of his appears in compilations...)

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

His Oriental Fantasy is a standard clarinet recital piece. It's pretty nice (and recorded on this disc FWIW http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Name/Charles-Lenepveu/Composer/170701-1).
Might be interested in hearing more.

Richard Moss

Alan,

I think you may have inadvertently duplicated the 'book' link instead of inserting the CLAVES one. 

I've recently downloaded that CD (from e-music) and must admit the music is, whilst not profound, most enjoyable.  Pity downloads mean that most of the time (CHANDOS, HYPERION, NAXOS and one or two others honourably excepted) you miss-out on the booklet notes!

Best wishes

Richard

Alan Howe

Mykulh

Thanks, Alan, for pointing out these Max d'Ollone CDs. The timing couldn't be better as I am now working on a French Concerto Discography and I love adding new composers to the roster.

Alan Howe

We'll look forward to consulting your new discography, Mike.

ncouton

Dear all,

I had the occasion to listen to some extracts of this 2 cd book, and I'm looking forward to be able to listen to the whole thing.
One curiosity of the set is D'Ollone's orchestration of Spozializio by Liszt, an orchestration I found a bit strange and stylistically questionable.
I specially recommend the cantata Frédégonde, with which D'Ollone won the Prix de Rome.

:)

Alan Howe

Thanks, M. Couton, and welcome to UC!

I assume you are the conductor featured on the superb recent recording of Rabaud's 2nd Symphony...

ncouton

Well, Mr. Howe, I am the conductor of this Rabaud recording (I don't fully agreed with the term "superb" but anyway thanks for the compliment).
By the way, Rabaud and d'Ollone were best friends and I could listen to some pieces of the D'Ollone while being with Mr. Michel Rabaud, grandson of Henri and incidentally one of the best friends of Patrice d'Ollone, grandson of Max. Life is full of surprises!

Alan Howe

How fascinating. It's certainly good to have you with us at UC!

petershott@btinternet.com

On this occasion, Nicolas Couton, I feel no awkwardness in being in complete disagreement with you. I find the Rabaud disc quite superb! It has been fascinating to discover this symphony, together with the other two pieces on the disc.

Through the medium of this forum I offer you sincere thanks for performing and recording this quite unknown music. I very much hope you might have equally interesting works in your future recording plans.

ncouton

That's kind of you  :)

Of course I have new good projects but for the moment I'm looking for money to finance them.  ::)

ncouton

Received today!

Good news for non speaking French, the very interesting libretto -texts by Alexandre Dratwicki and Patrice d'Ollone- is now also in English.

Gorgeous romantic music, especially "Les villes maudites", a kind of symphonic poem written in 1899 for a very large orchestra.