Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 23 January 2013, 16:21

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

When you become bitten by the Raff bug everything about him is enjoyable
Tom :)

Alan Howe

FBerwald

MartinH

Well I sure wish the Raff Bug would bite some of the young, up-and-coming conductors out there, many of whom seem hell-bent on once again surveying the worn out, over-played chestnuts.

sdtom

It needs to be promoted the right way to the general public. Once they hear the bug will take over.
Tom :)

sdtom

Mark Thomas

Thank you very much, Tom, I'll do so. But I don't update the site very frequently now as it is so mature and I have other Raff-related projects, so please don't expect it to be done straight away. Irritatingly, given my involvement in the project, I have still not received my own copy of the finished product, but I should get it now within a couple of weeks. I'll review it myself when I do and couple your review with mine. Thanks again.

Alan Howe

CD2's the thing here. Extraordinary where Raff's music was going. More when I've absorbed the orchestral intermezzi properly...

sdtom

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

So, to return to the orchestral intermezzi...

If you know Raff's music well, you'll recognise certain aspects of this late music. For example, I'd say No.2 is definitely reminiscent of the finale of Lenore (galloping hoofbeats); the spooky, demonic second movement of Symphony No.8 comes to mind too. The concise nature of these pieces is also a development of the direction Raff was taking in his four Shakespeare Preludes - there is no romantic inflation here. And I think it is this rather terse, spare musical language that is most striking. It is also quite forward-looking in places. On occasions I was reminded of the severity of, say, Sibelius. No.4 is particularly arresting, with its clashing harmonies - Tapiola seems just round the corner. Extraordinary.   

Raff proves himself to be a truly original composer in these pieces. It is fascinating to speculate what he might have produced had he lived longer. The fact that these works are barely known is an absolute scandal. They constitute music like no other of their time. I urgently recommend forum members to get hold of this superlative set.

Alan Howe

Finally, the last intermezzo is just heart-easingly beautiful. So pure, so free of romantic excess, so consoling. Truly wonderful.

Tom, you're right!

sdtom

Gareth Vaughan

Quotehas anyone else noticed some weird sounds on the cd? Almost like old LP warping - a constant thumping sound really noticeable at the end of the Liszt. Very distracting with headphones. I notice throughout the 1st cd.

Having now had a chance to listen to CD 1 at leisure (courtesy of Mark), I must say I can hear the same thing. Is yours similarly affected, Mark?

sdtom