News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Volkmar Andreae

Started by Listening2, Thursday 24 January 2013, 18:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Listening2

Hi:
I'm new to this site, so I'm not sure how familiar its members are with unsung composer Volkmar Andreae (1879-1962).
The good news is that Guild, a classical label from Switzerland is making amends and issuing a number of recordings
of works by Andreae. The first, Guild7307 contains the Piano Trios, Op. 1 and Op. 14. Guild 7328 has the 2 String Quartets and the Quartet for Flute, Violin, Viola and Cello. But most exciting and interesting for me is the release of 7377 containing Andreae's
Symphony in C (1919) and three other orchestral works. And Guild has just announced the release of a new CD with the Piano Concerto (1898) and the Violin Concerto (1939).

I first came across Volkmar Andreae when I was collecting the Bruckner Symphonies back in the early 1960s. The only recordings of Bruckner's 1st and 2nd Symphonies were on two imported (Austria) Amadeo LPs in mono sound conducted by Volkmar Andreae. Apparently he was a champion of Bruckner's Symphonie during his long career as a conductor.

eschiss1

The most recent recordings are being discussed in the New Recordings subforum here, the earlier recordings and his music in general have also been discussed before (though maybe long enough ago that a new thread should be started :). ..) (found using the search box at the top right of the screen) - that said- welcome! ... )

Alan Howe

Thank you, Eric, for directing us to those other threads. The Symphony was discussed here:
http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,2225.15.html