News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hisatada Otaka (1911-1951)

Started by fr8nks, Sunday 25 December 2011, 14:20

Previous topic - Next topic

fr8nks

I will add a cello concerto by Histada Otaka to the Japanese Music Folder in a few minutes. This is one of my top 5 cello concertos of all time. The structure reminds me a lot of the Dvorak Cello Concerto.

TerraEpon

Hmmm, well I have a piece by him on this BIS CD: http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=41796 ...though I can't say I remember what it's like.

But such a recommendation...

Jimfin

I have just listened to the unfinished Symphony no. 1 and it was absolutely lovely! I shall certainly be listening to the cello concerto too! Despite living in Japan for 9 years, I know little of its music, apart from the cheap pop that appears on television. Listening to this made me feel ashamed of that fact.

lechner1110

Hi, Thanks for start new topic!
  I agree, Otaka is one of great composer in Japan, in my opinion.  But his music are almost forgotten.
  Most people of my country don't know Otaka's name and music, just as Jimfin say.
  Otaka's most popular work is maybe his flute concertino.
  Especially, second movement of this work is quite beautiful music fill with Japanese romanticism.

eschiss1

Sorry for a very late reply (and again, don't know if this is appropriate anymore, though as A.S. notes, the work in question is regarded as full of Romanticism)- the flute concerto? concertino? I see will be in a BBC NOW concert 28 March 2013 (conducted, indeed, by Tadaaki Otaka; Adam Walker, flute) at Hoddinott Hall, Cardiff; am guessing this might be broadcast. Will delete/move/something this response/comment if asked of course.
Eric

Alan Howe

I think we need to pause before pursuing Otaka.