Brandts-Buys violin sonata op26

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 19 May 2013, 01:45

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Was just looking at Brandts-Buys violin sonata (which was just uploaded to IMSLP a few days ago). Weirdest thing, relatively speaking, I've seen by him yet (well, he is a basically Romantic composer, I've always thought). Published 1910, so for that time not so unusual, but does one think he meant the last bar of the finale to be A major (left-hand piano) - F-sharp minor (right-hand piano) - F-sharp (violin)? (The first movement of the sonata is A minor- closing A major; the second movement is in D ; the finale, Rondo, Presto ma non troppo capriccioso , does start off in F-sharp minor and closes pretty clearly there...

still... there might be treble marks (and ottava-trebles) missing in the piano part (which would make it a consonant conclusion, anyway, though one hesitates to "correct" (Dear Mr. Editor. The Wrong Notes are right!!) the composer that way (fortunately, I'm neither violinist, composer, nor do I intend to edit it... still.. any idea from anyone who knows his music better than I do (which would be a fair number of people?)

matesic

Do you think he meant the final LH chord to be in treble clef? Of course that would mean playing the same keys with both hands (duh!), so put the RH up an octave? Two mistakes in the final chord sounds like carelessness, but alternatively A major plus added F# sounds good to me.  The violin part looks playable and the piano not too notey to transcribe, so my work for this week is cut out...hopefully on imslp by Friday.

eschiss1

that's what I was thinking. the left hand does have treble clef until a deep A chord just before the end. It could indeed be a matter of having forgotten to put the treble clef back in and then adding a treble-ottavo in the right hand... but that's a guess!... but Brandts-Buys was capricious (etc.) in less obviously "modern" ways in some other works I know, and I am really not ruling out the possibility- I just do not know enough about the composer to just assume he "wouldn't have done" something like that...

I wonder if the manuscript still exists and if anyone knows anyone who knows anyone who's seen it...

matesic

My first impression on hearing the piano part of the first movement is that this is quite a forward-looking piece, more akin to his later string sextet than the earlier quartet. That final F# probably needs to be heard in the context of the whole piece to judge what he's up to...

matesic

Shucks, it's only a couple of months since Mark posted a link to the new recording on Aliud. Still, I think they take the finale much too slowly. I'm sure I can fake it faster than that.

eschiss1

ah, had forgotten about that, besides.  Anyhow, naught wrong with having two...

matesic

There you go, whenever it should penetrate imslp's copyright police barrier. I picked up a few tips from the Aliud recording (e.g flexible tempo in the first movement makes good sense), but you could hardly call their initial tempo for the finale "presto". As to the the ending, it sounds very natural to my ears, returning to the relative major just for the last 6 bars but leaving F# hanging. Some folk influence perhaps?