Friedrich Brahms (1835-1886)

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 01 April 2013, 18:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I understand that a certain well-known and respected label is to set about recording the works of the younger brother of Brahms, whose name was Friedrich (aka Fritz) Brahms (1835-1886).
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_friedrich_Brahms_brother
Included among these is a Symphony in D minor, entitled Die Endlose owing to its gargantuan size - apparently written along the lines of Lachner 5 and Rufinatscha 5 (formerly 6).

Peter1953

Duly pre-ordered. The Germans never let me down.

eschiss1

And here I was guessing that this had something to do with something that happened on this forum 3 years ago on this day (well, the day before this)... I should know better...

Alan Howe

Unfortunately the score's still in manuscript and Sibeliusing it is going to be a looooooong process. Watch this space...

Mark Thomas

I wonder if this could have been posted on any other day but today?

eschiss1

I won't demur and suggest LilyPond, for much as I use and like that competing typesetting program, it does often take longer to use (I gather; haven't tried Sibelius but I have friends who use it for this sort of purpose at least semi-professionally - and who have also used Finale and, once a time, Encore. And since extracting/typesetting just one expldel 1300-odd-bar (4 movements, 1 instrument) part has taken me a month and a half using LilyPond, I also defer to users of a speedier program with experience with it :)

I was wondering that myself, like the YouTube-is-closing shtuffs from yesterday... or the Rufinatscha 3 that fooled me but good from 3 years ago - but... well... one sees. If I am (being) fooled, the thing is, I don't care- it's still somehow interesting...

Alan Howe

I prefer Letraset myself. State-of-the-art technology, that.

Mark Thomas

QuoteSymphony in D minor, entitled Die Endlose
I wonder if they will also be recording Fritz Brahms' other exercise in that genre - the Symphony No.2 in A major Der Aprilscherz?

Alan Howe

No, No.2's called Die Allerkleinste on account of the fact that FB was so totally knackered after writing Die Endlose that he thought a change of compositional direction was essential for his own sanity. What with that and his pesky brother pinching all his best ideas...

eschiss1

FBerwald

What else did he write? Dare we hope for Sonatas or maybe a concerto or two?

Alan Howe

I'm afraid time's caught up with us on this one. However, Fritz's Leichtes Konzert für kompetenten Klavierlehrer und Orchester ought to be a candidate for Hyperion's RPC series...

Mark Thomas

Squeezing in under the wire there is, I understand, a cycle of three Piano Sonatas, known, for obvious reasons, as the Los cycle:

Piano Sonata No.1 Sinnlos
Piano Sonata No.2 Hoffnungslos
Piano Sonata No.3 Leblos

Alan Howe

...to be recorded in Loss-los format, no doubt.

Mark Thomas