News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Sir Colin Davis dies...

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 15 April 2013, 14:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I learnt this morning of the death of Sir Colin Davis - a very sad event indeed. Although largely associated with the sung repertoire, it is worth remembering that, when he began his long advocacy of Berlioz, the great French composer's music was barely known, beyond one or two pieces. He was a great conductor: I caught part one of Les Troyens in London about a decade ago (the recording subsequently came out on LSO Live) and his conducting was both hugely exciting and involving.

Any more reminiscences of Sir Colin?

eschiss1

You are right;
(He also conducted recordings of Spohr concertos, on LP, back in the 1960s. ... ok, I wasn't aware he did that.)

(and there were, according to his recordings and his BBC broadcasts as per Cadensa, quite a few newer- not always, per Spohr 6, the Newest of the New, but recent- composers he kept up with too; Tippett of course, also Fricker- we have or had a Fricker premiere conducted by him in the downloads (uploads? :) ) that I downloaded and not listed to yet- maybe today, then!... - and others. And in a mixed (not so new/newer, that is) way, his LSO Live Elgar 3/Payne - an excellent recording, IMHO, the best of the three.)

petershott@btinternet.com

You're spot on right, Alan. He was certainly a great conductor, and, yes, his performances were exciting and involving. Maybe it was because of the latter quality that he developed a tremendous popularity amongst students and young people in the 1960-70s. I never thought he was terribly good at talking about music - but he was hugely effective in somehow communicating his enthusiasm for great music (especially Mozart, Beethoven, Berlioz and Sibelius) and affecting all those who witnessed his conducting. Eric is also right to remind us that Davis didn't dwell solely in the land of the great dead composers, but also kept up with contemporary ones (his conducting of Tippett, for example, was far superior to Tippett's own efforts with his own music!)

If expelled from the community for some misdemeanour I shall certainly take to the desert island my treasured recordings of Colin Davis conducting Mozart operas (strangely his is the only Mozart I can listen to!), Beethoven symphonies (over the years that glorious Philips boxed set is the only complete set of Beethoven symphonies I've retained - I think it is really distinguished), and the Sibelius symphonies (few have equalled him here).

But above all I shall forever associate Davis with Berlioz. Doesn't it now seem almost unbelievable that at the time when he commenced his Berlioz odyssey on Philips Berlioz was almost quite unsung - at least in the UK? I remember saving up (hard!) in my student days for those wonderful chunky Philips boxes (with illuminating notes by David Cairns - who of course went on to write that most splendid of all composer biographies on Berlioz). And once you acquired them you utterly treasured them and played them almost with a great reverence. In the history of recorded music the Davis Berlioz recordings will surely take their place beside the Solti Ring. Both were monumental undertakings, and landmarks in gramophone history.

Alan Howe

Quite right. Peter. Well said.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteIn the history of recorded music the Davis Berlioz recordings will surely take their place beside the Solti Ring. Both were monumental undertakings, and landmarks in gramophone history.

They certainly deserve to. I learned so much of Berlioz's music through Colin Davis' performances. I remember the first time he performed the Grande Messe des Morts at the Proms in the 1960s and being utterly bowled over by the piece.  But the work which made me realize his genius was Les Troyens, still, for me, one of the greatest of all operas. That it received a production at Covent Garden at all - one which I count myself very lucky to have seen - was because of Davis' advocacy. There is no doubt he will take his place in the pantheon of great British conductors - and to think he was not allowed to attend Malcolm Sargent's conducting classes because he didn't play the piano! Well, Berlioz didn't either.

kolaboy

I missed the news of his passing due to the coverage of the Boston Marathon situation...

Another titan departs...

Alan Howe

We are all very concerned here about the Boston situation and send our condolences to friends in America in your collective sense of loss.

semloh

I unreservedly echo these sentiments - both in respect of the beloved Sir Colin, and the outrage in Boston.
It is also a tragedy that - almost simultaneously - 31 people have been killed and some 200 injured in a series of coordinated terrorist explosions in cities across Iraq. Pain and suffering knows no borders.  :(

giles.enders

I disagree with much that has been said.  He almost wrecked the Covent Garden orchestra and his time at the BBC was not successful either.  I would say his ambition outran his talent.  I would have been happy if he had stayed in Bamberg.

Alan Howe

Did you hear anything conducted by him, Giles?

petershott@btinternet.com

Plenty of healthy disagreement on the forum, Giles, and I for one welcome it since it helps us develop our views and learn from each other.

However I cannot refrain from saying that I'm quite astonished by your claim, and the timing of it. Everything that I've ever read, together with talking to those who worked with Colin Davis, suggests a quite unanimous view of him as an exceptional musician, wholly committed to making music rather than advancing himself, and as being a remarkably kind and supportive man to singers and orchestral players.

No option but to agree to disagree with you. Might I also suggest that we perhaps defer at the present time any discussion of your reasons for your view? It may be that there is some point to the latter, although that to me would seem very unlikely indeed. However I know a good number of people are hugely saddened by his departure from life, and in these circumstances I think it quite inappropriate that we should embark on discussion of any shortcomings in this wonderful man's abilities, contributions to the musical world, and enrichment of the lives and experiences of others.

Alan Howe

If there are genuine reasons for holding a negative view of Sir Colin Davis, I think they should be heard - provided, of course, they are expressed with the appropriate restraint and sensitivity.

JimL

Early in his career he was a bit of a hot-head, but he calmed quite a bit after his life settled down, and became a well-respected musician in the ensuing years.  Perhaps the early part of his career is what Giles is referring to, no?

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteHe almost wrecked the Covent Garden orchestra

Much as I admired his championing, and conducting, of Berlioz, I have to admit that his effect on the Covent Garden orchestra (acknowledged as one of the finest in the world when Solti was in charge), was deleterious. I attended a performance of Das Rheingold under his baton and was dismayed by the very mediocre playing of the orchestra on that occasion.
Still, de mortuis nil nisi bonum... at least, until a decent time has elapsed.

eschiss1

Of the three recordings of the reconstructed Elgar 3rd, I find his the best (as one particular example, as I think either Payne, or a friend, or both, noted, the very opening to the finale needs pointing, both as left by the composer, and even, I think from what I saw in the published score, in the reconstruction; in his recording those chords are least neutral, which seems to be a matter of - balance of orchestration? some changes in dynamics? directions to players?... - there's some noticeable difference from Daniel's recording, for instance, even if I'm not positive how it's created...)