News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Widor from Dutton

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 17 April 2013, 17:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I know we have a general thread about Dutton's latest releases, but I think it'll be worth starting separate threads on each of them, so let's take the CD of orchestral Widor here.

I've been listening to Symphony No.2 in A of 1882 which turns out to be a thoroughly enjoyable work, packing an awful lot into its 26 minutes (it feels like a much bigger piece). The idiom is fascinating: the orchestration is often quite robust, not to say heavy, with some marvellous brass-writing; there are also lot of what I, as a musical layman, would describe as 'scrunchy' harmonies, particularly in the first movement, and there is much that is rhythmically interesting throughout. All in all, I'm very glad to have made the acquaintance of this athletic and compact symphony.

More comments on the remainder of the CD to come...

Mark Thomas

Another CD in the bundle which arrived today and which should get a spin tomorrow...

Gauk

Anything by Widor is a must-buy for me; it's a great shame he gets pigeon-holed as an organ composer only.

JimL

Could you please post the movement titles/tempos in this thread?

eschiss1

In Benfeld's transcription (these may differ in the original orchestral version)--

1. Allegro vivace (quarter note=160)
2. Moderato (half note=104)
3. Andante con moto (quarter note=63)
4. Vivace (quarter note=130) - Scherzando - Moderato

(@ IMSLP ; Free Library of Philadelphia concurs on the basics of this description.)

eschiss1

re 1882, do they include information settling the composition date at 1882? I just know that it was published in that year, but for all I know it might have been composed earlier.

Alan Howe

1882 is the only date given in Dutton's sleevenote re. Symphony No.2. The Cello Concerto, by the way, is a rather nice piece with some catchy tunes, as in the finale. Personally, I can't see why this shouldn't join the Saint-Saëns and Lalo concertos in the standard repertoire. Dutton have really surpassed themselves with this superb issue: I for one am glad that they are now casting their net wider than the purely British repertoire.

Alan Howe

...and as a follow-up to my earlier post on Symphony No.2, I have to say that further playings today reinforce my impression that this is a major work. I am absolutely astonished that this powerful, memorable piece - which packs so much into its relatively brief span - has been left unperformed and unrecorded for so long. Marvellous: definitely my symphonic discovery of 2013 so far!

Mark Thomas

I've just finished listening to all three works on this Dutton release and I must say that I thought each of them superb. The Cello Concerto is, as Alan says, a very attractive crowd pleaser which nonetheless has a good deal of substance to it. The Three Preludes to Les Pêcheurs de Saint-Jean is another winner; the substantial Wagnerian Overture in particular is a very dramatic piece, which reminded me a lot of Franck's Chausseur Maudit. The Symphony is also a very impressive composition, but I won't spend time praising that beyond agreeing with all that Alan says. More orchestral Widor, please!

JimL

Do the movements as labelled on the CD correspond with those described by Eric in the Benfeld transcription?

Mark Thomas

Yes, apart from the finale, which is labelled: VivaceScherzandoAllegro con brio.

JimL

And now you know why I asked for the movements.  I'm trying to draft M. Cabedal into the fellowship.

eschiss1

Only now listening to part of the earlier Widor Dutton release (the piano concertos - just them, broadcast on BBC Radio 3 last week last week - for some reason it says available for a year somewhere on the site, but probably won't be available more than a day; I'd grab a listen if you haven't heard it already and if it's still there. Good stuff. The first has a themelet in common with a Scharwenka concerto, it seems to me... (I mention as a pleasant curiosity).)

Alan Howe