Gustave Charpentier: "Louise".

Started by Revilod, Tuesday 30 April 2013, 21:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Revilod

Gustave Charpentier's opera "Louise" may not be totally unsung but it is rarely produced and there has not been a new recording for many years.  None of the complete recordings is entirely satisfactory. However, a really splendid DVD of a 2007 Paris production is available. The sound and picture are excellent as this was a television broadcast; it's not just somebody sitting with a camera in the stalls. It's also very well sung and conducted. It's an answer to a prayer!

http://www.operapassion.com/dvd-y36.html

Revilod

I should in fairness add that the recording comes on two discs and that my copy of the second one had a serious sound/picture synchronization problem so that, in the great love duet, it sometimes appears that the voices are coming from the wrong characters!  A pity but bearable.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

...btw, I'd be very careful ordering from www.operapassion.com. The one set of CDs I have ordered from them came with the tracks scrambled and they refused to answer my request for a replacement. I eventually had to seek redress through PayPal. So: caveat emptor.