Composers with only one, but great symphony

Started by jani, Sunday 05 May 2013, 15:54

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I'm inclined to add the Moeran (even though his attempt at a 2nd has been reconstructed).  A bit flawed, but if "great" doesn't apply (I'm not sure it doesn't) then thrilling and stunning can, at least...
Arriaga?

alberto

Vorisek (1821)? The third Movement appears to me un uncanny premonition of Schumann.

eschiss1

Well, count me in as a fan of Vorisek's symphony in any case at all (though the name I seem to recall thinking when I first heard it was either Schubert or Brahms. I think it was Brahms, oddly. Well, I probably hadn't heard -that- much for comparison yet... !)

alberto

Once again at the borders between classical and romantic, I would suggest Cherubini's only effort a masterful work (if not really a masterpiece).

leonagy

For me, Hans Rott is a great composers ,and he has composed one? but great symphony

eschiss1

One symphony in E (1878-80?), sketches of a second, but more importantly than those sketches, 3 movements of a symphony for strings in A-flat (ca.1874-75?) (see description.) I think that incomplete string symphony's complete enough that it's been performed despite the absence of a finale (ah. Yes, a recording is noted. Still, wouldn't consider it a counterexample, not really.) (Besides this incidentally and by the way there are some other complete works listed at the site.)

Paul Barasi

Rott's symphony was finished by the end of July 1880 (except for some edits made in August). There are only a few crazed pages of Rott 2, which he had worked on from January-July 1880 concurrently with composing the 1st symphony finale and polishing the whole thing. It is apparent that he intended to go straight on with a second one and possibly he got somewhat further on paper than what has survived.

Probably the last of his orchestral works to be premiered (in 2014 - 25 years after the symphony was first performed in its entirety and recorded) will be the Hamlet Overture (composed 1876).

semloh

I go along with the comments so far. Hard to pick a truly great one-only symphony by an unsung composer, and there are so many that fall into that "not bad at all" category.

I was going to nominate Frederic Cliffe's 1889 Symphony in C minor .... then checked to make sure it was indeed his only symphony and was shocked to see that a 2nd was published in 2010 - I missed that along the way! So, I'll go with Amy Beach's Gaelic, which I think falls into the 'rather good' category!  ;D

Edit: Oh! I just read the thread about the Toccata recording of Mielcke - so must definitely add here his wonderful Symphony in F minor, Op.4.

FBerwald

Ernest Chausson's Symphony in B-flat Major

jdperdrix

Juan Crisostomo de Arriaga's only symphony in D is (to me) a masterpiece.

jimmosk

To honor his passing, I must mention Harold Shapero, whose 1947 Symphony for Classical Orchestra is a masterwork in my book.

-J

--
Jim Moskowitz
The Unknown Composers Page:  http://kith.org/jimmosk/TOC.html
My latest list of unusual classical CDs for auction:  https://tinyurl.com/jimmosk42

BFerrell

Thank you for that Jim!  You are indeed correct. He was my great friend. I was reluctant to post this due to the Ten Commandments. :P

eschiss1

Well, it's not great either, but Nepomuceno's only symphony seems to me to be very very good too.

musiclover

How about the Symphony of Felix Blumenfeld. I love that piece and which he had written another. Actually if he's written a lot more for the orchestra it would have been interesting as his orchestration is fantastic in his only symphony.

eschiss1

aside from at least one other orchestral work, an Allegro for piano and orchestra I don't know if he did. Hrm. (Oh. There's both that op.7 and also a mazurka op.10 for orchestra.)