News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Danzi Der Berggeist

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 23 March 2013, 12:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Sample tracks are now up at jpc. Proto-Weber, perhaps?

edurban

Interesting stuff.  Lots of Mozart, who, after all was only a few years Danzi's senior.  Points to Weber in his 'village life' mode rather than Weber in his full-out supernatural mode, although the excerpts only hint at the supernatural stuff (last 4 tracks?)  Lovely orchestration, with lots of great solos (ie. the clarinet in 3 and other winds throughout and even a nice solo part for Danzi's own instrument, the cello, later in the opera.)  Don't know much Danzi besides the e minor cello concerto recorded by Blees and released on Turnabout in my youth, but this seems intriguing.  Rather well sung, too, and apparently period instruments.   No. 4 suggests a model for later supernatural opera ballads for solo and chorus, like the one in Marschner's Vampyr.  Hmm.  I'll probably buy it.  Thanks, Alan.

David

eschiss1

I'm most familiar with Danzi's works for winds myself (4 wind quintets, piano and wind quintets and, i think, a concertante)- there is a string quartet of his recorded & uploaded to IMSLP (thanks again, Matesic!)

Alan Howe

Posted elsewhere by Peter Shott and moved here:

<<Slightly preceding our preferred period I suppose, but mention of the new Carus recording of Burgmuller got me browsing the Carus website where I noticed a forthcoming recording of Franz Danzi's opera Der Berggeist.

Should a sensible fellow add it to his order list? I've enjoyed the (little) Danzi I've heard - well crafted music though perhaps not sufficient to deprive me of sleep at night. Is this opera yet another German singspiel written in the early 19th century, or (dare I say it) something rather more substantial and musically interesting?>>