Hyperion: The Romantic Piano Concerto

Started by Kriton, Sunday 04 April 2010, 16:51

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Didn't seem to be much point to that bot.  It's about to be shot like a carnival ducky. ;D

Kriton

They make them that intelligent and enthusiastic about unsung composers?

Gareth Vaughan

RPC Vol. 50 (Tchaikovsky) is flying off the shelves, so Mike Spring tells me - which is good news for everyone on this forum, because it will mean Hyperion can afford to record some repertoire which, while it will appeal to us, might not "fly off the shelves" so much as roost there!

albion

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Friday 07 May 2010, 17:17
RPC Vol. 50 (Tchaikovsky) is flying off the shelves, so Mike Spring tells me - which is good news for everyone on this forum, because it will mean Hyperion can afford to record some repertoire which, while it will appeal to us, might not "fly off the shelves" so much as roost there!
Gareth, that's excellent news regarding the sales of RPC 50. Hyperion is a recording company that deserves commercial success in return for their enterprising catalogue. If the return from the Tchaikovsky helps to balance out their investment in Spohr, Simpson, Bantock, de Sabata, Mackenzie, etc. etc., I couldn't be more pleased. We should always remember that 'mainstream' repertoire stands out so starkly from Hyperion's issue-list precisely because it is included so rarely!

giles.enders

Poor Hyperion, where piano concertos are concerned, the cry is why don't Hyperion---.  Danacord had quite a good series of unusual piano concertos and also a series by related composers ie; father and son, brothers-inlaw etc..  Where Hyperion have scored and others have failed is that they bring out three piano concerto discs a year and have a house style. Who knows which other labels are bringing out what and it is then a case of tracking it down. 

Rob H

Absolutely - which is why I spend so much time searching for forums like this excellent one to help keep track of all these "incidental" releases. Danacord have been excellent of course with the 4 Danish Piano Concerto series (more were promised at one point including concertos by Siboni, von Klenau, Schierbeck and Hansen but it looks like the series has probably now ended - anyone know?) as well as the Pabst. Otherwise there is Teleffsen on Simax, Bowen , Montague Philipps and Hely-Huchinson on Dutton, Kunneke on Koch Schwann, lots on Naxos (D'Albert, Bax, Beach, Ries, Hummel, Pitfield, etc and Stenhammar to come), Marx on ASV, Huber and Raff on Sterling, Reinecke, Thuille, Goetz and Schmidt on CPO and the gorgeous De Greef on marco polo. That's just picking a few at random. I'll keep an eye out here for new and rare delights from independent labels.
Rob

M. Henriksen

QuoteOtherwise there is Teleffsen on Simax

Thomas Dyke Acland Tellefsen :)

Morten

Rob H

Quote from: M. Henriksen on Wednesday 30 June 2010, 19:03
QuoteOtherwise there is Teleffsen on Simax

Thomas Dyke Acland Tellefsen :)

Morten
Knew I should have actually gone and looked at the CD case.

Gareth Vaughan

Quotemore were promised at one point including concertos by Siboni, von Klenau, Schierbeck and Hansen

The orchestral parts for the Siboni cannot be found. The Schierbeck piece is (I think) a one movt. "Fantasy" which has been recorded before (I'm not sure about this - I may be wrong!). As to the others, Danacord said they existed only in MSS and were not very good, so they decided to call it a day.

Ilja

I have seen Klenau's piano concerto (at least, a photocopy). It is in MS, but certainly not in a bad condition.

Gareth Vaughan

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.  I meant that Danacord did not think they were very good as piano concertos. It was a comment on the quality of the music not the state of the MSS.  I hasten to add that I have not seen any of them myself. I merely pass on what Danacord told me about 4 or 5 years ago.

eschiss1

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Thursday 01 July 2010, 21:24
Quotemore were promised at one point including concertos by Siboni, von Klenau, Schierbeck and Hansen

The orchestral parts for the Siboni cannot be found. The Schierbeck piece is (I think) a one movt. "Fantasy" which has been recorded before (I'm not sure about this - I may be wrong!). As to the others, Danacord said they existed only in MSS and were not very good, so they decided to call it a day.
Schierbeck - "Natten", symphonic scene for piano and orchestra, op. 41? Recorded on a Point CD, 1980s.
Eric

Rob H

Just noticed that Jonathan Plowright is set to record concertos by Zelenski and Zarzycki for Hyperion

see here

http://www.jonathanplowright.com/Jonathan Plowright Newsletter Summer 2012.pdf

petershott@btinternet.com

Well spotted. This is excellent news! I've really enjoyed what I've heard of Zelenski (especially the string quartets), but confess I don't know Zarzycki at all. Given the contributors to this forum I'm sure I'm very soon going to learn about him! That will be a real pleasure.

Alan Howe

I think I'll start a new thread on the Zelenski/Zarzycki PCs so that we can track the progress of the recording...
Many thanks!