News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Stojowski Piano Concerto No. 3

Started by FBerwald, Sunday 05 May 2013, 18:15

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

I had written to the  Polish Music Center right after receiving the reply from Mr. Plowrith. I just received a reply from Krysta Close (Assistant Director | Newsletter Editor)  Polish Music Center regarding the 3rd [or as it seems the SO-CALLED-3rd] concerto.

"... I suspect that the page you mentioned (http://www.usc.edu/dept/polish_music/PMJ/issue/5.2.02/stojowskiworks.html), which was created in 2002, is the source of confusion.

It is true that on that page page under "Unpublished Works in Manuscript in ZLSC" (the Zygmunt and Luisa Stojowski Collection which, since 2007, is housed at the Polish Music Center), a Piano Concerto No. 3 in F Minor is listed, giving the total no. of pages as 68 and noting that pages 31-32 are missing. These details correspond EXACTLY with the 1st draft of Stojowski's Op. 3 (i.e. First Piano Concerto), which we do have in the collection. However there is no evidence of anything related to a Piano Concerto No. 3.

Joseph Herter wrote the Annotated Catalog of Stojowski's music for our PMJ in 2002—as linked to above—however he later included an updated catalog in his 2007 book on the subject: http://www.usc.edu/dept/polish_music/pmhsbooks/historyser.html#no10. Mr. Herter's book, which we'll have to accept as authoritative and final word on the subject, lists the Piano Concerto No. 3 as "lost" and unpublished, not in the ZLSC. Perhaps in the 2002 online listing the designations of 'Op. 3' and 'No. 3' were confused—certainly if a Concerto No. 3 ever existed, it wasn't published, and we do not have the manuscript or even sketches."

So it seems there might never have been a 3rd concerto, especially in light of the detail "68 page manuscript and  pages 31-32 are missing" which they claim corresponds exactly to the 1st draft of concerto No. 1 Op. 3 [misread! No. 3!!!!!]

eschiss1

I've seen that sort of elision before. Thanks.

edurban

Gareth Vaughan

I just received the same reply to my enquiry:

Dear Gareth,

I apologize for my delayed response to your question, but it took us a bit to sort out the answer. We recently received another inquiry into this piece of music, which referenced our Polish Music Journal website: http://www.usc.edu/dept/polish_music/PMJ/issue/5.2.02/stojowskiworks.html. I suspect this page, which was created in 2002, is the source of confusion.

On that page under "Unpublished Works in Manuscript in ZLSC" (the Zygmunt and Luisa Stojowski Collection which, since 2007, is housed at the Polish Music Center), a Piano Concerto No. 3 in F Minor is listed, giving the total no. of pages as 68 and notes that pages 31-32 are missing. These details correspond EXACTLY with the 1st draft of Stojowski's Op. 3 (i.e. First Piano Concerto), which we do have in the collection. However there is no evidence of anything related to a Piano Concerto No. 3.

Joseph Herter wrote the Annotated Catalog of Stojowski's music for our PMJ in 2002—as linked to above—however he later included an updated catalog in his 2007 book on the subject: http://www.usc.edu/dept/polish_music/pmhsbooks/historyser.html#no10. Joe's book, which we'll have to accept as authoritative and final word on the subject, lists the Piano Concerto No. 3 as "lost" and unpublished, not in the ZLSC. Perhaps in the 2002 online listing the designations of 'Op. 3' and 'No. 3' were confused—certainly if a Concerto No. 3 ever existed, it wasn't published, and we do not have the manuscript or even sketches.

I hope that this answers your question. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Best,

Krysta Close
Assistant Director | Newsletter Editor
Polish Music Center
University of Southern California - Thornton School of Music
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0851
Tel: 213.821.1356
Fax: 213.821.4040
www.usc.edu/dept/polish_music

FBerwald

I'm glad this is finally solved. Sort of like the Phantom Violin Concertos No. 1, 2 of Roentgen's, which we all know never existed to begin with. What say we all try to solve the mystery behind the elusive Violin Concerto No. 2 of Goldmark. The 1st concerto is too good not to speculate the quality of a sibling.  ;D Its better to have an answer [however negative] rather than speculating :D.

petershott@btinternet.com

I'm clearly out of touch! Ever since I exchanged short pants for trousers (many decades ago!) I've always thought there was but one Vn Concerto - in A minor, Op. 28 and composed around 1877. I've never picked up rumours of any concerto other than that. On what basis is the rumour or suspicion based?

And before going further why not initiate a distinct Goldmark concerto thread?

giles.enders

This is what I really value about this forum, there is usually someone among us who gets at the facts and blows away long received rumours

eschiss1

I've heard of a 2nd violin concerto (said to be in C minor and unpublished) by Goldmark for ages but yes, I have no idea what that "information" is based on; it might be a very brief thread. But- there have been very brief threads (before, and will be again, and ... (almost paraphrases Philip Roth from "Our Gang") :) )

JimL

I saw a reference to a 2nd Goldmark VC but it was in A Major.  I think it was in an old Groves.

Alan Howe

It seems to me that this thread has pretty well run its course. And unless anyone has anything concrete to offer about other supposedly lost works (and we've been over the Goldmark territory and got precisely nowhere), I suggest we don't let this thread descend into a string of meaningless speculations.

Gareth Vaughan

Here, here! Facts and research - not speculation.

eschiss1

I think there's another thread for lost/misplaced works in any case- somewhere ( irony not intended.)