News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

John Thomson (1805-1841)

Started by Wheesht, Tuesday 26 February 2013, 08:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

I have recently listened to a CD I bought 15 years ago and realised that even then I bought it not for the recording of Mendelssohn's 3rd Symphony, but for the unsung Scot John Thomson, who knew Mendelssohn. I have no idea if the CD by the Camerata Scotland is still available (it was a production of the National Youth Orchestra of Scotland, with liner notes by John Purser). There are three Lieder by Thomson on that disc (sung by Colette Ruddy) and the overture to the opera 'Hermann' or The Broken Spear. This piece is available to listen to here: www.scottisharts.org.uk/resources/showcase/audio/camerata/thomson%20hermann/thomson_hermann.mp3

Have any UC members come across Thomson?

eschiss1

If this is the same Thomson (trying to recall) I think he wrote a G minor piano trio that's both at IMSLP (unfortunately, Sibelius only, not  PDF- rare for IMSLP and now against policy...) and a recording of which was broadcast on BBC (this was downloadable from UC at one point).

jerfilm

olliedrake

Yes, this is the same John Thomson. A few years ago I was involved in a Festival of his music, which is why some of the sores are on IMSLP. Ifyou need scans or pdf's please message me - I have a copy of his Rondo which is superb!

John H White

Welcome to our friendly forum, Ollie. Its nice to hear of another composer from north of the Tweed. He would have been a contemporary of my great grandfather who farmed in Berwickshire.