Goldmark Symphonies 1 & 2 from BIS

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 12 June 2013, 07:35

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

That keeps happening, I think I know why, but I really need to test such things. Very very sorry... Fixed now, I hope.

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

And now for me too. Thanks, Eric, for the adjustment.

eschiss1

Again, sorry about that. Some odd special-character thing from where I was cutting/pasting. I need to be more careful.
Anyhow, they do seem to have a lot of Goldmark's ms there and what seem to be early editions, etc.- I wonder if they will ever consider digitizing them :) (perhaps those of some other Hungarian composers too, I don't doubt.)

Gareth Vaughan

That something is mentioned in Grove is absolutely no guarantee of its existence. When it comes to "unsungs" that work is littered with errors - the 2nd PC of Bronsart, listed in one edition, comes to mind: the error was corrected in the next ed.

cypressdome

Looking through the various editions of Hugo Riemann's Musik-lexikon the 1887 edition lists  a single violin concerto which Reimann describes as "ein forciert pikantes violinkonzert." The 1894 edition lists zwei violinkonzerte. Subsequent volumes at least down to the 1959 edition list two. In that volume it lists the A minor Opus 28 and "eins ohne Opuszahl."

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

So there is at least a historical precedent for what appears in Grove.

Mark Thomas

And, crucially, it's a reference well within Goldmark's lifetime, at a time when he was still a prominent composer, so to my mind it lends a lot of credence to the idea that he might have written a second concerto. He wrote a memoir: Notes from the Life of a Viennese Composer, which was published posthumously in 1927 in the USA in an English translation by Alice Goldmark Brandeis (a relative, I guess). I wonder if that has a reference to a second concerto or if it has a work list? Google Books list the book, but in the UK at least it isn't fully readable, and I can't find another digital copy online. It may be worth tracking down the memoir, but the only second hand copies I can find online are ridiculously expensive.

eschiss1

Hrm. Alice Goldmark Brandeis...
maybe also(?) related to composer Friedrich (Frederick) Brandeis? I wonder.
One for the Genealogy sites, so far as they are trustworthy...

"Louis D. Brandeis: A Life" has what a quick summary skim of a description suggests may be love letters from Louis Brandeis to an Alice Goldmark. So maybe not to the composer Friedrich Brandeis, but to the (very much) more famous Louis Brandeis. Interesting!!!

Alice Goldmark-Brandeis, 1866 to 1945. Bio.

Randy Schoenberg has maintained what seems a detailed genealogy of the various branches of the Goldmark family at  geni.com . Alice Goldmark-Brandeis - mother Regine Rozine Goldmark (Wehle) (1835-1924, born in Bohemia), father Dr. Joseph Jakob Goldmark (1819 - 1881) (born in Poland) - does not seem closely related to the Carl Goldmark/Rubin/etc. Goldmarks. from what I can tell anyway...no, that's not true.

Joseph Jakob Goldmark was one of Karl Goldmark (1830-1915)'s _brothers_ - their father was Ruben Goldmark (1798-1868). So yes, you're quite right. So I guess that makes Alice Goldmark Karl's niece?...

eschiss1

Hrmph. So his nephew teaches Aaron Copland, and his niece marries Louis Brandeis. They're taking over the USA (I mean we, actually. I think his family came from the same countries, more  or less, as my ancestors...well, mine didn't come from Poland, but Hungary, Germany, yes.) :D

semloh

On the subject of Goldmark's orchestral music, does anyone know of a recording (or better still have an uploadable version!) of, his Scherzo in A major, Op.45. I've had it on my wants list for years.  ::)

Mark Thomas

Can't help with the Scherzo, Colin, but I have tracked down a cheap(er) copy of Goldmark's autobiography. It'll be interesting on its own account, but in particular as soon as it arrives I'll see if it helps on the question of whether he wrote a second violin concerto. Riemann recorded the second concerto as early as 1894 and the autobiography was only published in 1922, after Goldmark's death, so with any luck its writing will post-date 1894 by quite a few years. I'll post as soon as I've had chance to look it over.

eschiss1

Sheetmusicplus has two copies of the Scherzo in A - one for $110 and the other for $20. Both are the 1980s Kalmus reprint. I wonder if one is a piano reduction... doesn't say.

Mark Thomas

Thanks very much for the Scherzo recording, Matthias. Very kind of you.