News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Wilms sonatas

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 16 June 2013, 04:50

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

This may be a little too early, in which case apologies and was worth a try :) - also noticed on MDT - a release on ARS Production of several violin sonatas and a piano trio (what might been published as a sonata for piano, violin and cello- usually was, in the late 18th century/maybe early 19th too- not sure of the date of this piece actually) by Johann Wilhelm Wilms (1772-1847). 

(Though I think Wilms would be glad to know he "should live and worked in Amsterdam". Etc. And if he refuses?)

Link.

petershott@btinternet.com

Certainly one for me.

How about "Music to rediscover emergency in an interpretation which makes him all his nobility"? I'm clueless about what they might possibly mean!

eschiss1

I have heard quite a bit of his music by now thanks to Concertzender (several symphonies, a string quartet, other works) and think very well of what I've heard, anycase... but then there's a number of composers from that general time period I've become curious about (he is one of the better of the lesser-known ones, from what I hear, if not as inventive as Dussek etc.- still, either influenced some by early Beethoven (his 5th symphony reminds me a little of Beethoven's 2nd in the same key- a little, anyway) - as I recall, some, not overwhelmingly, though I'll have to listen again :) Some good concertos there too. More chamber music by him sounds promising, mangled program notes or otherwise. (Especially since I usually try to catch it over the radio if I can where that's less of an issue...)