Stanford VC2 (c/w Milford VC) from EM Records

Started by BFerrell, Monday 17 June 2013, 20:23

Previous topic - Next topic

BFerrell

IMAGINE: a work of searing beauty, masterly orchestration and emotional profundity; only once heard, never recorded – lost to generations. It is this work, Robin Milford's Violin Concerto, that the pioneering label EM Records is to resurrect, allowing its inspirational delights to be heard again at last.
Its companion work will be no less a ground-breaking recording. Stanford's exquisite Second Violin Concerto shows the power of its composer at his most authoritative and expressive. Dramatic intensity, high virtuosity and melting lyricism combine to glorious effect in this recently-discovered treasure.
This recording will take place on 21 and 22 August 2013 at Watford Colosseum with conductor Bjorn Bantock, whose interpretations have been praised worldwide for their sincerity, commitment and integrity, and violinist Rupert Marshall-Luck, whose recent discs for EM Records have met with glowing critical acclaim.

Gareth Vaughan

Absolutely wonderful news. I had heard that Em Marshall wanted to record both these works, but I didn't know how far plans (or finance) had evolved. For me, this will be a "must buy" disk.

Alan Howe

I look forward greatly to this release. The Stanford is probably more within our scope here, but I'll gladly take the Milford too. Thanks so much for this news.

petershott@btinternet.com

What a wonderful joy! Two works pulled out of the unknown - this is surely a major achievement for a single disc. First the Stanford resurrected by Jeremy Dibble. I understand that he has orchestrated the work - might I ask: from what? Is it 'legitimate' to refer to Stanford's 'Violin Concerto No. 2'? Or should we really talk of a work 'realised by Dibble'?

And then the Milford. I understand he wrote it in 1937. What of its performance history? Might this be the first performance since WW2 perhaps?

I've also just read (on the Robin Milford website) that the "lost early symphony" has been found in a trunk in Marion Milford's cottage. Anyone know anything of that?

It has been a wretched day (having driven the lawn mower into an unmovable tree I'm now wondering how many concerts and CDs its repair will cost). But this glorious piece of news has quite bucked me up! Profuse congratulations to Em Marshall. I think I might buy a second copy of the CD in case the first wears out!

BFerrell

I think even Alan will find the Milford gloriously romantic in the Elgarian sense. That's why I posted. I think you'll find both works well within the purview regardless of the dates.  ;)  I brazenly told Em that I am falling in love with her!

The Milford symphony is in the planning stages (funding). It is now performable. But it will happen eventually.

The Stanford was completed by the composer for violin and piano. Dibble would certainly be a first choice to orchestrate it.

A review of the Stanford premiere here:
http://www.bachtrack.com/review-durham-cathedral-university-orchestra-stanford-violin-concerto-premiere

eschiss1

A scan of a the holograph (1918-9-20) ms. of the Stanford in its violin/piano form can be viewed here (uploaded originally by the Morgan Library, which has the ms.)

Alan Howe

Milford's idiom is usually described in terms of Vaughan Williams rather than Elgar. We'll see...

Gareth Vaughan

Milford's music is tonal and lyrical - as in the Suite for oboe & strings which Cameo recorded and which I think you have, Alan.

Alan Howe

FBerwald

My introduction to him was the charming "Fishing by Moonlight" and other Chamber music from hyperion. I fell in love with Milford's music right away. This is really good news, especially since I have a soft spot for Stanford's music as well. Does anyone know how to contact Jeremy Dibble; I have been wanting [for years] to ask him about to the early Violin and Piano concertos!

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Quote from: FBerwald on Tuesday 18 June 2013, 15:19
Does anyone know how to contact Jeremy Dibble; I have been wanting [for years] to ask him about to the early Violin and Piano concertos!

A simple Google search turns up Professor Dibble's email address at the Durham University website:  jeremy.dibble@durham.ac.uk

Do let us know what you find out...

thalbergmad

Prof Dibble is a very kind and helpful chap in my experience. He is also one of the busiest people in the Country.

Don't lose heart if it takes a while for him to respond.

Thal

BFerrell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.englishmusicfestival.org.uk/email-bulletins/june-2013-browser.html

A new Parry disc too! And more of Em's beautiful photography.

LateRomantic75

Hello, I'm new here! I also look forward to this disc with enthusiasm. I would also very much like to hear Milford's Symphony, op. 34, composed in 1933. It is one of Milford's most substantial work (along with the VC and the Oratorio Pilgrim's Progress), as he was mainly a composer of well-crafted, melancholy and luminous miniatures. Although Vaughan Williams (who was an influence on Milford's music) admired the work greatly, Milford (for reasons unknown) withdrew the work in 1956. The excellent website of the Robin Milford Trust has the score and parts for the Symphony available for purchase. A project for Dutton, perhaps?