BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Bruckner 8 unsung?

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 19 January 2013, 19:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

petershott@btinternet.com

Yes, well spotted, sharp-eyed Eric!

The rear of the CD cover states "First version 1878" - but then the (very full) notes make it clear that 1887 is indeed the original version which Bruckner worked on from 1884. If I'm right it was that version that Levi held to be in need of revision. Bruckner then revised it, completing the thing in 1890 and it then received its first performance under Richter in Vienna in 1892.

But then the version that is most familiar to us is the Haas version, and this is largely the revised version of 1890 but which then sometimes reverts to the original 1884 first version.

Hope I've got it right. If not try the very full (and I assume accurate) account of Michael Lewin in the CD booklet.

Don't know where the "1878" on the rear of the CD cover comes from - a typo on a Friday afternoon? Pity it wasn't picked up.

ncouton

Well, Bruckner's 8th is a real puzzle, as most Bruckner's symphonies are.
In fact there are more or less 4 and a half versions of this symphony:
-the original version of 1887, which was discovered long after Bruckner's death
-the revision from 1890 published by Nowak, which is the "normal" version we know.
-Haas's edition, who mixed the 1890 revision with some cut portions from 1887 (imho the best version even if not very "pure")
-the last revision from 1892, the first published edition, very interesting in the way Bruckner indicated in this edition many changes of tempo and rubatos as well, indications absent from the other editions.
-an intermediate version of the adagio, from 1888, was recently discovered and one recording is to be published next, conducted by Gerd Schaller (Profil).

Some conductors didn't hesitate to make their own edition, for example Furtwängler or William Steinberg.

???

petershott@btinternet.com

Thank you! Very clearly set out. If I ever make it to heaven I'm going to ask Bruckner which is his preferred version - I'd be very puzzled if I failed to find him in that place!

John H White

Here I have a confession to make. Around 50 or 60 years ago, when vinyl reigned supreme, I had a naughty habit of playing 33rpm disks of Bruckner symphonies at 45 rpm. :)

Alan Howe

You don't have to do that anymore. Try Norrington instead  ;)

sdtom

What is the general opinion of the Young/Hamburg readings of Bruckner on oehm? I received a download of the symphony no 0 and am quite pleased but my ear isn't to the level of many of the members.
Tom :)

Gauk

I've heard both versions of Bruckner 8 on CD, and to be honest, I have a hard job saying which I prefer. But this is not the case with Bruckner 3, where in my opinion the original version, which is very rarely heard is actually much better than the various revisions. It is very interesting to listen to it in conjunction with Robert Simpson's essay on the Bruckner symphonies. Simpson, I think, never heard the original version. It seems to me that the structural problems that Simpson exposes so clearly are actually introductions in the revisions, and the original is much more successful.

jerfilm

Well, I downloaded the Young/Hamburg recording.   I suppose my opinion is not very objective since the 8th is my very least favorite of Bruckner.   With a movement that's 30 minutes long, it's just too tedious for me.  Altho I would say I like this original version marginally better than the others.

I know, assume the position -  20 lashes with a wet noodle. :o :o

Jerry