Spohr Symphonies 4 & 5 from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 19 June 2013, 07:35

Previous topic - Next topic

petershott@btinternet.com

Never thought we'd see a time when we're actually spoilt for choice when it comes to Spohr symphonies! I've considered both Orchestra della Svizzera Italia / Shelley on Hyperion and NDR Radiophilharmonie / Griffiths on CPO both so equally good that the only rational choice of action is to collect both series (and blow those wretches who complain of duplication!)

The Hyperion series has got to the finishing post first, and I hope that doesn't result in fewer sales for CPO since in that case CPO might be more timid in recording Spohr's music in the future. There is plenty of unrecorded Spohr. In the meantime bravo to both CPO and Hyperion.

Alan Howe

Quite, Peter. I'm collecting both series too, with a slight preference for Griffiths' fuller textures.

Alan Howe

This is an absolutely fabulous release. I have said more than once that I prefer Griffiths' cycle on cpo and here his crisp but weighty approach really pays dividends. Up to now I've thought the 4th Symphony a rather wan piece of programmatic writing, but Griffiths plays it for all its worth, which is the only way to do it. And some of the orchestral playing is absolutely spectacular - try the brass in the 3rd movement, for example.
So, I'm a convert. This is fascinating music, wonderfully well conducted and superbly performed. No wonder it enjoyed such a high reputation for so long in the 19th century. As for Symphony No.5, well, I haven't listened to Griffiths' performance yet, so more anon.
Finally: thanks to John White for his advocacy of Spohr. Without your enthusiasm, John, I would probably not have persevered with the 4th Symphony. Thank you!

Alan Howe

Just listening to Symphony 5 - equally fab. This will undoubtedly be one of my CDs of The Year!

sdtom

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 28 July 2013, 22:52
Just listening to Symphony 5 - equally fab. This will undoubtedly be one of my CDs of The Year!

It is an excellent reading for sure.
Tom

John H White

Thank you Alan for your kind remark.  Up until now, I've only been able to work up any enthusiasm for the opening movement which I've always thoroughly enjoyed, particularly for the quotation from the minuet of Mozart's symphony No 29 in A and for those "unruly birds" who feature a tierce flute (flauto terzo) in E flat amongst their instrumental line up. Now, from what you say, Howard Griffiths has managed to, as it were, repackage the whole symphony as a going concern and I look forward to obtaining a copy of this new recording in the near future.
    Cheers,
         John.

petershott@btinternet.com

Oh dear, I do often think poor DH is an idiot. Why 'poor'? Well, in his perpetual effort to maintain his own chirpy ego he does miss out on so much. One yearns to shake him up a bit, ask him to set aside his prejudices, and to listen more carefully. His experiences of these performances on the CD are quite unlike mine.

erato

Though it's occasionally interesting to observe his writings. I don't know Spohr's symphonies, but enjoy the cpo set of the violin concertoes quite a bit, wellcrafted, enjoyable and uncomplicated music.

Alan Howe

I read Hurwitz too. It's a great shame he's so dismissive about music he patently doesn't know all that well. Spohr deserves better...

Mark Thomas

I usually find Hurwitz an entertaining read when I'm in the mood for musical invective, but his prejudices are so blatant and seldom backed by anything more convincing than his own opinions. It's tabloid journalism, low on substance and high on invective, but he does do dismissive very well - as long as I don't care too much about the composer who he is demolishing.

eschiss1

Pity; I'm sure I've said this before but I recall when he had more (positive and of worth) to say and opened my mind by doing the opposite (it may have been for lesser-known or lesser-regarded works of sung composers, Haydn trios e.g., in one case I'm fairly sure I do remember, but in that case I know my prejudices needed the clearing out.)

Alan Howe

...and his little book on Brahms' symphonies is excellent.

sdtom

Hurwitz has succumbed to marketing. Remember that bad press is press.
Tom