Burgmüller Piano Concerto from Carus

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 17 July 2013, 11:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Carus will soon be publishing what I think is a new recording of Norbert Burgmüller's Piano Concerto, together with his Dionysos Overture and the Entr'actes Op. 17. The pianist is Tobias Koch, with the Hofkapelle Stuttgart conducted by Frieder Bernius. Sparse details (but no sound bites yet) are here.

FBerwald

I thought that Burgmüller wrote just one piano concerto.... !?!

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Sorry, my mistake. Yes, it's his Op.1,  not his No.1. I've amended my post. And whilst the overture is described at jpc as being to Dionysos, I see that Klaus Tischendorf, in his catalogue of Burgmüller's music, calls the uncompleted opera Dionys.

John H White

That's rather like referring to Schubert's B minor Symphony as a "symph". ;D

eschiss1

Hrm... Dionys was the first name of quite a few people in the 19th century, which could have misled the composer- or not :)

petershott@btinternet.com

The earlier MDG recording of the Pf Concerto was more than acceptable and enabled me to come to know the work and enjoy it.

However on the basis of the performance and recording of the two symphonies by the Hofkapelle Stuttgart / Bernius I suspect that this new disc will be rather special. Straight on to the order list.

Alan Howe

I won't be buying it. I prefer the non-HIP approach on MDG.

ornstein

The opera fragment is based upon the famous Schiller ballad "Dionys, Tyrann von Syrakus" and has nothing to do with the Greek Dionysos. But the overture was written seven years before the fragment and was only for the first print connected with the now lost fragment.
The recording of the piano concerto is fabulous and an absolute must buy. And the CD contains the first real recording of the Entr'actes as a premiere (after an old and bad broadcast from the 1980ies).
This just to correct some errors about these things...

eschiss1