Algernon Ashton Piano Trios

Started by jonah, Monday 22 July 2013, 15:34

Previous topic - Next topic

jonah

Following Toccata Classics' successful and enjoyable issue of the Ashton Cello Sonatas, an article by Patrick Webb on the Musicweb-International website (www.musicweb-international.com) indicates that Toccata is planning to record Ashton's three Piano Trios.
Although these works are unknown to most, the article certainly whets the appetite for the issue and I, for one, cannot wait!

eschiss1

Well, the 2nd trio (in A, Op.88) was performed in 1892 (published ca.1895 (I think HMB does give this date) by Hofbauer, we have an upload at IMSLP - as we do of) the 3rd trio, Op.123 (B minor) - dedicated to Edith Greenhill and also published by Hofbauer of Leipzig, in 1901. An article about Ashton at MusicWeb does say something about the 1st trio if I remember but that's all I seem to recall about it. Having skimmed scores/parts of the trios and other chamber works we do have of his over at IMSLP, I really need to make a point of hearing them (either/both the cello sonatas recording already out, the piano sonatas recording, the upcoming piano trios recording...)

(The 2nd trio was dedicated to Ernest Fowles.)

giles.enders

Are the three tone pictures for piano trio Op.103 included in this recording ?