Adolphe Samuel (1824-1898): Symphony no. 6 and Jongen: Three Symphonic Movements

Started by LateRomantic75, Thursday 04 July 2013, 23:49

Previous topic - Next topic

LateRomantic75

A very exciting upcoming release: http://www.amazon.com/Symphony-No-6-Adolphe-Samuel/dp/B00CPCENQI/ref=sr_1_24?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1372977059&sr=1-24

Adolphe Samuel (1824-1898): Symphony no. 6 in D minor, op. 44; Joseph Jongen (1873-1953): Three Symphonic Movements, op. 137; Royal Flemish Philharmonic/Martyn Brabbins

This release (the second in the "Belgian Boutique" series) will mark the first appearance on disc of the music of Belgian-Jewish composer Adolphe Samuel, as well as fill a major gap in the Jongen discography. The editorial review on Amazon describes the Samuel symphony as "mystical and Wagnerian" and Jongen's Three Symphonic Movements (his final orchestral work) as "neo-impressionist". A biography of Samuel and a synopsis of his Symphony no. 6 can be found here: http://www.musikmph.de/musical_scores/vorworte/516.html#english

I am a great admirer of Jongen's music and look forward to investigating Samuel's. Another one for the wish list! Now, how about Jongen's early, large-scale Symphony? ;)

eschiss1

Ooh. I've been interested in this symphony for several years, and a study score of it is available from Musikproduktion Höflich of Munich (as you noted). Thank you, thank you for this news :)

Also in re Adolphe-Abraham Samuel see Wikipedia (and those in other languages which may provide more detail.) (Unfortunately IMSLP has by him only an vocal score he prepared of Gretry's Richard, Coeur de Lion, but no compositions of his own, yet...)

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

I've downloaded the Samuel symphony and at first acquaintance it's quite a strong piece IMHO. It's powerfully orchestrated, clearly but not slavishly in the Wagnerian manner, which maintains the dramatic interest needed to succeed as a programme symphony. None of its movements outstays its welcome, but I'm not sure whether melody is Samuels' strong point. Time will tell, but I'll certainly be giving it a few more listens. The work has an interesting history: it began as his Second Symphony in 1846, was re-orchestrated as his Fourth in 1863 and finally emerged, rewritten as a programme symphony (it tells the story of Genesis, no less), as his Sixth in 1889! Is this a record of some sort, I wonder? Actually, I have no idea what remains of its first incarnation in its last, but it would be a very considerable achievement for 1845 if the changes weren't too substantial.

Thanks LateRomantic75 for the heads up!

Alan Howe

I've also downloaded the piece and my reactions are much the same as Mark's. I tend to think that these true programme symphonies generally outstay their welcome - unless the composer is an absolute genius such as Berlioz or Liszt. The problem is often an awful lot of musical 'huffing and puffing' - something which works in within the shorter span of a symphonic poem, but not over the course of an entire 4-movement piece. However, Samuels' piece is actually relatively compact and has plenty of variety - although little true melodic distinction, I think. Nevertheless, I am thoroughly grateful to have been alerted to this treasurable new release and look forward, with repeated hearings, to proving myself wrong!

Alan Howe

Mykulh

Mark, what is or are your source(s) of information about Samuel's Symphonies? As I am adding him to my Discography of Benelux and Swiss Symphonies, I need further details about his symphonic output. Thanks in advance.

Michael

Mark Thomas

Hi Michael,

Here's the link to the Musikproduktion Höflich foreword to their pocket score of Samuel's Sixth, which seems to be the most complete source. There are some other online sources, but they all have the same, or less, information. Predictably, the latest Groves adds nothing.

As I don't have the CD booklet, I don't know the Italian tempo indication of the second movement: Eden. If anyone has it then I'd appreciate knowing it. The other movements (from the Höflich foreword) are:

I. Genesis: Allegro appassionato e tumultuoso
II. Eden: Andante
III. Caïn: Presto guerriero
IV. Lux luceat! - Laus et jubilato: Allegro solenelle e brillante

Mykulh

Thanks, Mark. Very helpful source. There seems to be nothing more comprehensive online.

eschiss1

I and others I'm sure will try to find out what I can about  Samuel's other music including the other 5-or-more symphonies soon. Cheers :) There is a Mass Op.53, I know.

eschiss1

Well- According to Fétis (1880) (these works not nec. published at the time, though at least one had been performed in September 1869, if I am reading right...)-
Symphony no.1 in A;
Symphony no.2 in A minor;
Symphony no.3 in E minor;
Symphony no.4 in D minor;
Symphony no.5 in B-flat.
(Sym.6, published 1891, probably? also composed post-1880?)
2 string quartets mentioned by Fétis, in E-flat and in B minor.
Also quite a few other works (vocal, dramatic, orchestral and otherwise.)

(Some 14 libraries have the Höflich score, a few more the first edition score, so anyone with access to the score as against just the preface should just be able to look at it, turn a few pages and find out the tempo indication for the Eden movement. Cornell isn't on that list (yet), though if Lincoln Center Library New York is, I'll see about that next I'm in that area :) )

Mykulh

Thanks Eric,
   Excellent sleuthing. Combining this with what I've found elsewhere, Samuel's symphonic cycle looks something like this:

Symphony No. 1 in A major, Op. 8 (1846)
Symphony No. 2 in A minor, Op. 9 (1847)
Symphony No. 3 in E minor, Op, 28 (1858)
Symphony No. 4 in D minor, Op. 33 (1863)
Symphony No. 5 in B-flat major, Op. 35 (1869)
Symphony No. 6 in D minor, Op. 44 "Genesis" (1891)
Symphony No. 7, Op. 48 "'Symphonie Mystique - Christus" (1894)

If anyone has corrections or additions, I'd love to hear about them.

Michael

minacciosa

That Jongen work is absolutely great. I believe it is also his final completed opus.

LateRomantic75

Quote from: minacciosa on Monday 15 July 2013, 19:28
That Jongen work is absolutely great.

I'm not surprised (in a good way, of course). Nothing I've heard that came from Jongen's pen has less than impressed me-he had the uncanny ability to make quantity and quality co-exist in his huge output. He is one of my very favorite unsungs :)

Manangy

Note to Mark, et al:

The second movement of Samuel's sixth symphony -- Eden -- is marked "Andante."