News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Frank Harold Tapp 1883- 1953

Started by giles.enders, Thursday 08 August 2013, 12:07

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Frank Harold Tapp, Born Bath 1883 -  Died  15.6.1953

Frank H. Tapp was the son of Edward Harold Tapp, and was initially a pupil of Percy Buck.  He subsequently studied at The Royal College of Music under Percy Buck, Charles Villiers Stanford, Fred Bridge and St.Oswald Dykes.  He studied Organ under Sewell.  Between 1910 and 1914 he was conductor of The Bath Orchestra.

Orchestral

Symphony No.1 in E  'The Tempest'  1913
Symphony No.2 in D
Symphony No.3 in E flat
Overture 'Metropolis'   1934   presumed lost
Overture 'Highgate Hill'
Overture 'Village Revels'
Overture 'Island Festival'
Overture Beachy Head'  1938   pub. by Chappell.
Suite for string orchestra
Symphonic suite
Suite de ballet  1923
Symphonic variations on 'Tom Bowling'  for piano and orchestra  1905
Rhapsody for piano and orchestra on a theme from Tippereary 
Divertimento for string orchestra
Rhapsody for two pianos and orchestra
'English Landmarks'
'Ascot' waltz
'Whitehall' march   pub. by Maurice & Co.

Chamber

Fantasy quintet for wind
String trio  1909
Violin Sonata

Piano

Valse Caprice  1907  pub. by Stainer & Bell
'Moonlight Mysteries' - waltz   pub. by Metzler & Co.

Song

A Song for the Patriots 1918  words by A Earley

Church

A post communion hymn  words by A T Fryer   pub. by Novello.

Organ

Prelude and fugue.   pub. by Houghton

In 1924 he married Kathleen Mary Vaughan  1899-1957

eschiss1

Is the suite the published "English Landmarks, suite for orchestra"?

giles.enders

From the notes I made, English Landmarks are,  Ascot, Tintern Abbey and Whitehall.

Gareth Vaughan

Unfortunately, most of Tapp's unpublished orchestral music seems to have disappeared without trace - unless, of course, anyone on this forum knows differently. I do have a copy of the Full Score of the Rhapsody for 2 pianos & Double string Orchestra, which I obtained from an American University, but that's all. I have not had time to look at at it properly yet.
I believe one of his sets of variations for piano & orchestra was on "Pop Goes the Weasel" and was very popular in its day. I wish that would turn up.

thalbergmad

Quote from: giles.enders on Monday 12 August 2013, 10:48
From the notes I made, English Landmarks are,  Ascot, Tintern Abbey and Whitehall.

Tintern Abbey was in Wales the last time I went.

Hope his music is better than his geography.

Thal

Alan Howe

Quote from: thalbergmad on Tuesday 13 August 2013, 19:44Tintern Abbey was in Wales the last time I went. Hope his music is better than his geography.

Well, Tintern is in Monmouthshire, which hasn't always definitively been in Wales. According to Wikipedia:

The historic county of Monmouthshire was formed from the Welsh Marches by the Laws in Wales Act 1535, bordering Gloucestershire to the east, Herefordshire to the northeast, Brecknockshire to the north, and Glamorgan to the west. The second Laws in Wales Act of 1542 enumerated the counties of Wales and omited Monmouthshire – This led to ambiguity as to whether the county was part of Wales or England. Since local government changes in April 1974 the area has been placed definitively in Wales. The eastern and southern boundaries of the historic county and the current principal area are the same, along the River Wye and Severn estuary; however, the western two-fifths of the historic county are now administered by the other unitary authorities of Blaenau Gwent, Torfaen, Caerphilly and Newport. The administrative county of Monmouthshire, and associated lieutenancy were abolished in 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972. The area largely became part of the new local government and ceremonial county of Gwent. (emphasis added)

So, Thal, you may be correct now, but not prior to 1974...

giles.enders

When I was a child it was always referred to as Wales and Monmouth.  Now back to Tapp.  Is it known if he had children?  While rambling on about Tapp there were two songs  listed; The Green Lawns of England (very suburban)  and Highgate Hill

giles.enders

Does any one know the whereabouts of Tapp's Rhapsody for two pianos and orchestra and his Rhapsody for piano and orchestra on a theme of Tippereary?.

Gareth Vaughan

I wrote earlier in this thread that I have a photocopy of the full score of the Rhapsody for 2 pianos and string orchestra. I hope I can still find it.

eschiss1

One can give "performed 1905" (or perhaps? premiered 1905) for the Tom Bowling variations, I think (per a review of a performance, I think, in the September 1905 "New Music Review and Church Music Review, Volume 4"); and 1948 December 10 is on the Symphonic Rhapsody (Introduction, Double Fugue & Finale) for 2 pianos and double string orchestra per the description at Worldcat of the ms at Northwestern University (Evanston, Illinois).