News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

d'Erlanger from Dutton

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 19 April 2013, 22:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Comments to come - couldn't resist opening the thread...

petershott@btinternet.com

I look forward to enlightenment! By coincidence, earlier tonight I was wondering whether to set up such a thread. I haven't yet ordered any of these new Epoch releases. But we've been treated to all those chaps rubbing their hands in glee at the Scott and Widor CDs (and quite justifiably, I'm sure), and I've been left thinking 'Sure, yes, but what of the d'Erlanger disc?' Is it, as I suspect, all rather gorgeous frothy stuff with not too much to actually get the teeth clamped onto? (Forgive the near gastronomic turn of phrase).

FBerwald

The Concerto Symphonique is in G minor, Andante Symphonique for cello is in D Major. Can anyone tell me what keys the other pieces are in - Prélude Romantique, Sursum Corda! and Ballade for cello and orchestra

eschiss1

Hrm. Tapping them out at a piano while listening to the recording, one can probably find out; on the other hand the scores will probably not arrive at IMSLP or any other site partially based in the USA (at least not in US Public Domain forms) since the Ballade was published around 1929 and the prelude Sursum Corda was published around 1923 (so if the scores have proper copyright etc., they're probably under copyright in the US.)

FBerwald

@eschiss1 . I tried it your way. Here's what I found - 
Sursum Corda! Prélude [E-flat Major]
Ballade for cello and orchestra [C minor]
Prélude Romantique [G minor] or G Major?
Unless I find the scores this is the best I can do. Perhaps someone has seen the scores..? Any thoughts.

Mark Thomas

Hmmm. Having now given this new recording a good airing, I'm afraid that I'm left with a feeling akin to aural indigestion. D'Erlanger's music is always sumptuously orchestrated and it's never less than an extremely pleasant listen, but there wasn't much in these performances which I found striking. The melodic, dynamic and rythmic landscapes are very samey across the whole 70 odd minutes and I was left with the impression that programming a whole disc of D'Erlanger's music does him no favours, as it exposes his lack of versatility. Taken individually, these works would please much more. A CD to sample, therefore, rather than one to listen to in one sitting.

Alan Howe

Agreed, Mark. All very pleasing, but...

Gareth Vaughan

Well, I'm sorry, Mark & Alan, I beg to differ. I find the d'Erlanger disk utterly captivatiing on all counts. Yes, it is all written in the same Romantic vein but I am happy to immerse myself in that. Gorgeous melodies and luscious orchestration - OK, I know I have a very sweet tooth! Anyway, I would now like to hear some of his chamber music - and that opera.

eschiss1

I'd like to hear the violin sonata and the piano quintet...

FBerwald

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Sunday 11 August 2013, 00:21
Well, I'm sorry, Mark & Alan, I beg to differ. I find the d'Erlanger disk utterly captivatiing on all counts. Yes, it is all written in the same Romantic vein but I am happy to immerse myself in that. Gorgeous melodies and luscious orchestration - OK, I know I have a very sweet tooth! Anyway, I would now like to hear some of his chamber music - and that opera.

Thank GOD! Someone who agrees!!!!! For all the people who find it too sweet, why not listen to a piece per day rather than everything in one sitting. I agree with Gareth and find d'Erlanger's music the polar opposite of Mahler! One is saccharine the other neurotic!

Alan Howe

Thank goodness for the variety of opinions here. Makes things much more interesting.

Mark Thomas

Oh, I enjoy the individual works on the CD very much, but I just feel that listening to a whole CD worth of them is akin to ploughing my way through the giant Snickers Becher ice cream I have just indulged in, here on holiday. Each spoonful was a delight, but I don't want any more ice cream for quite a long time!

Gareth Vaughan

Well, guys. Alan is right. Thank God for the diversity of opinion here. (Oh, and I also like Mahler very much!)