Klughardt Symphony 5 from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 28 August 2013, 08:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I'm fairly sure that I've read that that the score of the Waldleben Symphony is lost, unfortunately.

FBerwald

Well.... we do have the other 2 unrecorded symphonies to look forward to. No. 2 & 4 (?)

Alan Howe

It appears from the excerpts at jpc that the Symphony has five movements...

eschiss1

or, there's one overture-etc. not mentioned in the brief description there that accounts for the extra track. We'll know soon... (though yes, otoh, maybe it does, as the first and fifth sound like symphonic first movements and finales, with the second-fourth movements slow movement, scherzo, intermezzo in some order. Got it :) )

eschiss1

According to Lockbuch-Dessau Hermus has also conducted (part of?) his 4th symphony, also. (Unless this was a preliminary announcement in 2011 of recording of the 4th and they decided to record the 5th instead. Still, it might mean that they've recorded both...)

As to earlier parts of the thread, while the first symphony he composed was I suppose Waldleben, his "Symphony No.1 'Lenore'" still exists so far as I know, as do four others (two of which - nos.3 and 5 are in commercial recordings); if Waldleben were to be found that would make six symphonies in all.

Alan Howe

I understand that cpo are supposed to have recorded the 4th Symphony too.

Mark Thomas

FBerwald

Quote from: eschiss1 on Saturday 21 September 2013, 22:29
.......two of which - nos.3 and 5 are in commercial recordings.....

Symphony No. 1 "Lenore" was commercially released by Sterling (last year?).

Mark Thomas

DennisS

Is not the Lenore symphony Klughardt's symphony no 2 (as stated by Jpc.de or have they made  mistake)?

DennisS

Have just checked out Klughardt's profile on Wikipedia and see that Klughardt's first symphony opus 27 is indeed the Lenore symphony. I am very surprised that jpc.de made this mistake, not only in the CD title but also in the musical description!

eschiss1

Gerlach's 1902 book on Klughardt backs me up in this also, I think (though he does not I think? even mention the (missing) string sextet, for instance, so I'm not suggesting taking him as one's sole source...)

Gareth Vaughan

May I refer everyone to the late Alan Krueck's excellent article available here:
http://www.raff.org/resource/krueck/3lenores.htm
...which answers these questions.

eschiss1

Hrm. (Ok, (1) I didn't read very carefully and Gerlach certainly did not back me up on this- bad Mr. Gerlach! Bad! No cookie.) and (2) Very interesting...)

DennisS

I am really taken with Klughardt's music. I already had his Symphony no 3/violin concerto, which I have been listening to again these past 3 days  and enjoying the music immensely (his symphony no 3 reminds me quite a bit of Schumann's music, makes me think at times of certain passages in Schumann's Great Symphony). Consequently I have been listening to all available sound bites available. I am certainly going to order the CDs of Symphony no 5 (CPO) and Auf der Wanderschaft Suite (Sterling). I am also going to order of course the Sterling CD of Klughardt's Lenore Symphony (it attracted my attention because of the Lenore connection with Raff - I don't know why I didn't spot it earlier!). Speaking of Klughardt's Lenore Symphony, I was a little surprised that no-one made any comment re-the confusion on the numbering of this symphony i.e. Symphony no 1 or 2? As per my earlier post on this thread, I ascertained via Wikipedia that the Lenore Symphony Op 27 is Symphony no 1- not symphony no 2 as stated by jpc.de). However today, whilst listening again to sound bites of the symphony, I re-read all the previous posts on this thread, including Mark's post 7 September re-directing us to the Sterling website where sound bites of the Lenore symphony are available. I was very surprised to read on the Sterling website, above the sound bites, the heading"Symphony No 2" !!! So, not only have Jpc.de got it wrong but also Sterling! This leads me to ask the question, whether historically, there was some confusion regarding the numbering of the symphony? Can anyone shed any light on this?