Raff work identification - re 10 songs for chorus op.198

Started by eschiss1, Monday 02 September 2013, 01:51

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

this digital scan at the Library of Congress just says "op.198", "Winter Carol". Op.198 is the 10 songs for Mixed Chorus. If the editor has kept the original tempo marking then I suppose (not having op.198 or a list of incipits with me) that it could be the first of the Op.198 set, which has to do not with Winter but with Spring. The words provided aren't a translation but are new, so no help there, but does anyone know the 10 songs op.198 by Joachim Raff well enough to tell me which this is (it starts on page 2)?

For those among us who hate IMSLP (not me, I edit there) I may as well admit beforehand that I'm asking this in part with a view to setting up a page there for the Op.198, and adding (a cropped and etc., image-tweaked-a-bit) the PDF to that page, as is basically standard practice with a link (that link above) back to their site (also SOP).

Thanks in advance, and thanks just for reading.

ES

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

Mark Thomas

petershott@btinternet.com

Yes, glad you asked that question, Mark. I hesitated in asking it in case there was something quite odious about IMSLP that was obvious to everyone save me! In spite of the odd instance where some information I want is not on IMSLP I find it an indispensable research tool. But Eric, being Eric, must have a sound reason and I await enlightment!

chill319

I too can't imagine a reason to be anything less than profoundly grateful for IMSLP.  When pushpinned emotions control thinking, though, I suppose any kind of target is possible.

And speaking of Raff, could someone please remind me of the link to order the Raff bio that Alan translated and Mark annotated? Thanks.

petershott@btinternet.com

Let's see if I can beat Mark to it!

You can get both:
Raff, Helene: Joachim Raff - Portrait of a Life (Trans Alan Howe)
and
Raff, Helene: Leaves from Life's Tree (Trans Alan Howe)

from www.raff.org

They are wonderfully handsome books, fluently translated, thoroughly readable, and of much interest to areas and issues beyond Raff himself.

Oooh, I've made Alan and Mark blush!

Mark Thomas

I'll type blushingly that the direct link is: www.raff.org/shop. Thanks for your very kind words, Peter.

Alan Howe