Lazzari's Symphony in E Flat Major

Started by Peter1953, Saturday 17 April 2010, 16:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

A very pleasant listening is the Symphony in E Flat Major by the South Tyrolian born composer Sylvio Lazzari (1857-1944), who moved to France and is ever since considered as a French composer. The Symphony is an almost 50 minutes lasting work in 3 movements, written in 1907. Beautifully crafted, full of lyrical passages, in the tradition of the great German symphonies of the late 19th Century.

Audio excerpts can be heard at
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Sylvio-Lazzari-Symphonie-in-Es/hnum/7824541

On this Marco Polo disc are also the Tableaux Maritimes. Four relaxing symphonical movements in a style which reminds me of Sibelius.

Anyone familiar with Lazzari's Symphony? What is your opinion?

eschiss1

Unfortunately no- I've skimmed his string quartet (which has been recorded, but I haven't heard the recording; it looks pretty good.) Hope to hear the symphony though.

petershott@btinternet.com

I share your admiration, Peter, for the Lazzari Symphony. I found it a tightly constructed work (not too common a phenomena in late-romantic French symphonies!) and full of interest. But to my mind the Tableaux Maritimes is a superior work. There are some most deeply felt passages there, and this work seems to me to come more from the heart than the symphony (good as it is).

I wish we could hear more of his relatively small corpus of works. No hope of that with the operas maybe. But I've read comments praising the Op 13 Piano Trio, and have always wanted to seek out this work (there is a recording on Arion). Alas that intention has always taken second place to other 'CD ambitions'.

I suppose the good news is that with this wealth of now quite unknown composers there is more than enough to fill a busy life. (Pity we're not immortal!) Best wishes to you,

Peter

Marcus

Hello Peter1953,
I am an admirer of Lazzari's symphony and many of his other works. As with many Marco Polo recordings, I hope that one of the majors will take it up. But having said that, I have been an avid collector of the Marco Polo recordings, and they are commended at least for bringing unknown music to the fore in th late 80's & 90's when the majors would never consider it. Any recording is better than none.
I hope one of the recording companies will also consider Paul Ladmirault's (1877-1910) Symphony in C (1910). Judging from his works already recorded, it will probably be similar to the Lazzari symphony in style.
We collectors of the Unsung always live in hope, and we will never be satisfied while so much good music remains in dusty archives. !
Marcus.

Ilja

Much as I like the Lazzari, it's quite easy to hear where it comes from. Paul Dukas' symphony in C was published only five years earlier and the similarities are clear. That's not to say that it's not good, though. But to me, also, the Maritime Pictures are the more interesting work.

If might make another request for a French composer from this period to be resurrected: André Gedalge!