News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Franciszej Brzezinski 1867-1944

Started by giles.enders, Wednesday 04 September 2013, 11:35

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Franciszej Brzezinski  Born 6 September 1867  Warsaw   Died 6 August 1944  Warsaw

He initially studied law at Tartu University where he graduated. He studied piano with Kleczynski. From 1893 he started serious music studies with Hugo Riemann and Arnold Schering, and later in Leipzig with Max Reger and Arthur Nikisch.
From graduation he continued to practice law until 1903 when he decided to devote himself to music as a composer, critic and writer, which included a biography of Bedrich Smetana.
His compositional output was small. 

Orchestral

Theme and variations in F sharp  Op.3  1904 (also for piano)
Piano Concerto in G minor
Violin Concerto in G minor  Op.9
Konzertwalzer  1912
Polonaise-Ballad  1917  also for solo piano

Chamber

Violin Sonata in D major  Op.6  1910   pub. by Rieter-Biedermann

Piano

Theme and variations in F minor  Op.3   pub. by Bote & Bock
Polish Suite , Introduction, polonaise, fugue, scherzo, intermezzo and rondo Op.4  1907   pub. by Lauterbach & Kuhm
Triptique, suite de preludes et fugues: Doubt, Christmas in Poland, In front of the Sphinx  Op.5  1910   pub. by A Piwarski & Co.
Waltz  1902
Toccata  Op.7  1910   pub. by A Piwarski & Co.
Polonaise-ballade  1917

Song

Lullaby for voice and piano  (later orchestrated)

His complete piano music was recorded in 2013, for the first time by Barbara Pakura and released on the Acte Prealable

eschiss1

Oh good! I've seen (and may have uploaded) a few works of his over @ IMSLP, I seem to recall, and the chance to hear some of his work will be really good. Did not know about the piano concerto &c, hope they still exist... Thanks!

(IMSLP link, Wikipedia-de and Wikipedia-pl links; Ruch Muzyczny (longer biography, Polish).

vicharris

http://www.acteprealable.com/albums/new_ap0271.html

Interestingly, when I followed someone's link to acte prealable this am, I found this in their new releases.

markniew

LateRomantic75

Fascinating as ever, Giles! You have a knack for bringing up composers whose names had previously been unknown to me. The only problem is, can we hope for recordings of their music? ;)

giles.enders

I had done my little bit of research about him a long while ago but it was not until I found that his complete music for solo piano had been recorded that I thought it worthwhile mentioning him.
Now for a little tease, wait for a really unknown composer of symphonies and six string quartets who I will post about on December 8th.

LateRomantic75

Quote from: giles.enders on Thursday 05 September 2013, 11:20
Now for a little tease, wait for a really unknown composer of symphonies and six string quartets who I will post about on December 8th.

Ooooh! Can't wait! ;D