News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Stojowski Violin Concerto

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 07 July 2009, 19:07

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

The cello piece that I mentioned is a true video, I suspect from a telecast.  And to the best of my knowledge is not available commercially anywhere.  However, I have been duly chastised and will refrain from passing along such tips in the future.  Those who are interested can find them for themselves.

albion

No problem at all with a large number of kosher files which are usually amateur performances of unfamiliar repertoire (there are some especially valiant and intrepid pianists out there), so don't hesitate to recommend these if you come across any and think they will be of interest!  :)

Mark Thomas

Yes indeed. The problem is with those YouTube clips which are very clearly rips of commercial recordings.

albion

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Tuesday 21 July 2009, 22:53
I'm afraid that a couple of listens to the Violin Concerto confirms Alan's initial impressions. Somehow, despite some lovely playing by the soloist, the work fails to ignite and seems to meander. Quite a let down after the two piano concertos and the Orchestral Suite. The Romance for violin and orchestra is much more effective, although it's really only a short rhapsodic work in the tradition of Massenet's Meditation, Svenden's Romance and so on. I've haven't yet listened to the Violin Sonata.

What a shame indeed - I really enjoyed the Piano Concerto in the Hyperion RPC series and was wondering what the Violin Concerto would be like - as has been said there is nothing more frustrating than a duff recording of a work when you know that it will probably never subsequently be touched by another record company. It is not always the case that "any performance is better than no performance at all".

The best thing to do is to endure such recordings as many times as you can bear until you have the music in your head and then, using your powers of creativity, construct a better performance with your own imagination.  ::)

FBerwald

What key is the Violin Romance, Op. 20 in?

eschiss1

I think the opus 20 is in E-flat major (or so the Dutch Royal Library Catalog claims.) (©1901, dedicated to Thibaud. If anyone (still) has the Acte préalable CD that's been so poorly reviewed here and if it's played in the right key there, that might answer the question...

As to the violin sonata, I believe there's another recording with both of his sonatas- I'm not sure off the top of my head, but it rings a bell...

eschiss1

Way-belated response...

Thanks to Cypressdome , over on IMSLP just now uploading the orchestral parts to this work - hopefully making more performances at least more possible... :)