Goldmark Symphonies 1 & 2 from BIS

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 12 June 2013, 07:35

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Oh, Matthias! Thank you so much for the Scherzo. That is very kind of you, and much appreciated.  :) :)

jerfilm

Mark Thomas

Returning to the question of a second violin concerto, I've now had the chance to scan Goldmark's autobiography. Not only is there no catalogue of works in his book, Goldmark makes no mention anywhere of the Violin Concerto, never mind a second one. He appears to have been writing in 1912, but the autobiography effectively finishes in 1896, with the appearance of his opera The Cricket on the Hearth. Rieman's first listing of two violin concertos appeared in 1894. However, in his 1921 foreword to Goldmark's book, the Viennese musicologist Ferdinand Scherber (1874-1944) wrote "The popularity of The Queen of Sheba, the violin concertos, The Rustic Wedding, and other compositions never faded". Interesting, but maddeningly inconclusive.

Mark Thomas

This obituary of Goldmark appeared in the Musical Times 1 February 1915:

It is announced from Vienna that CARL GOLDMARK, the composer of the popular opera 'Der Königin von Saba,' has died, at the age of eighty-four. He was born, of a Jewish family, at Keszthaly, Hungary, showed early talent for the violin, and entered the Vienna Conservatoire, where he studied also composition and the pianoforte. In 1860 he definitely settled at Vienna as a teacher, and soon won recognition as a composer. The well-known 'Sakuntala' Overture was first performed at a Philharmonic Concert in 1865. 'Der Königin von Saba' appeared in 1875 after ten years of slow creation and careful revision, and was successful from the first. Being based upon a Biblical story it has not yet been staged in England. Goldmark's later operas are 'Merlin,' 'Das Heimchen am Herd,' 'Die Kriegsgefangene,' 'Götz von Berlichingen,' and 'Der Fremdling.' He wrote two Violin concertos; a Symphony in E flat; six Orchestral overtures, of which 'Sakuntala' and 'Im Frühling' are well known, other orchestral works including a Symphonic-poem, 'Zrinyi'; 'Frühlingshymne' for alto solo, chorus and orchestra; choral songs ; concerted chamber music; violin and pianoforte works, and songs. He was a strong supporter of Wagner, whose works he praised, early in the 'sixties, in his capacity of musical critic. Goldmark's music is characterized by an easy command of colour and effect, by abundant vitality, and by melodic interest.

petershott@btinternet.com

You're putting a great deal of energy into sleuthing this one out, Mark!

I suppose - dismal comment as it is - that the Musical Times is just repeating something the author has read elsewhere? That, after all, is just what journalists do - both then and indeed now.

eschiss1

Hrm. I'm curious about that Spring-hymn, too - if it's any good anyways. :)

giles.enders

Mark Thomas

My father was a detective. Must be in the blood.

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks to Mark we seem to have established there is not an unreasonable chance that Goldmark did indeed write 2 Violin Concertos. Now where is the score of that second one?

Mark Thomas

That's kind, Gareth, but I don't think that I have established that he wrote two violin concertos. There is certainly now a  lot of quite early circumstantial evidence, but that's not proof. Barring tracking down the manuscript, what I'd like to find is a contemporary werkverzeichnis or a report of a performance of the second one. Then, we could be sure.

Gareth Vaughan

Agreed. I will moderate my comment to "established there is a not unreasonable likelihood..." etc.

Dave

To Mark Thomas:

Thank you very much for the uploads of Goldmark's works (the overture to "A Winter's Tale" is especially a very fine work and I enjoyed listening to it).
Dave.