News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

BBC Proms 2014

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 24 April 2014, 16:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Unless I've missed something, this summer's Proms season is an even more arid desert than usual for lovers of unsung romantic-era music. You can check for yourself here:
http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/proms.aspx#/page/1/
Plenty of Birtwistle and Maxwell Davies, though...

Alan Howe

...one composer who could have been considered is Magnard - seeing that he died soon after the outbreak of WW1:

<<In 1914, at the beginning of World War I, Magnard sent his wife and two daughters to a safe hiding place while he stayed behind to guard the estate of Manoir de Fontaines at Baron, Oise. When German soldiers trespassed, he fired at them, killing one of them, and they fired back and set the house on fire. It is believed that Magnard died in the fire, but his body could not be identified in the remains.>>
(Wikipedia)

eschiss1

There's a couple of Magnard concerts here and there I've noticed this year, even though not at the Proms and it seems mostly of the same work? (Hymne à la Justice).

Glad to see Moeran's violin concerto (Prom 10) at the Proms this year, I admit (a little outside of our orbit, I apologize, though I think if Bax is considered acceptable maybe Moeran has some claim too- but- well.. .ah well. :D), Frank Bridge's "Oration" (Prom 38) too (ok, likewise)... and Szymanowski songs (Prom 49), Bax Roscatha (his what?) (Prom 51)... though admittedly, nothing from the mid- to late-19th century that's much lesser-known; that's the least-encountered concert music in any event in concert halls in the last 10 years, it seems, but still a disappointment.

semloh

This prompted me to check the 2014 concert schedules for our major Australian ensembles, and of course it's mostly the very familiar works, with a heavy emphasis on the 'Russians', and a heavy dose of Mahler. The only less performed work I found was the Czerny 4-Hands Piano Concerto, with the Queensland SO.

The BBC Proms seem to have lost their flair for bringing new or unusual works to public attention. As we've said before on UC, they are an opportunity poorly capitalized upon ....

eschiss1

I'm a little more hopeful checking sites like Bachtrack for concert schedules as reported by ensembles and concert venues worldwide as opposed to just a few particular festivals here and there; emphasis on "a little".

A few others, too; I wish Mr. Woollard's Orchestra site- does anyone remember it?- were still up, though.

alberto

Forgive me if I make reference to two works both (slightly...or more than slightly) outside the forum remit, but I am glad to see tat the Proms hosts Casella's Elegia Eroica and Respighi's Suite from Belkis Queen of Sheba.
I may listen to them on record, but only the former I heard once in an actual concert (around......1970).

semloh

Alberto, agree totally. Two superb works. I just wish they would make the Proms a showcase for British music!