News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Coke Cello Sonatas

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 02 December 2019, 17:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

I knew this was imminent, but had no precise date. As you can imagine, this is a very exciting release for me. To have two such consummate musicians performing these difficult works will be a marvellous experience. The first two sonatas were printed, but no. 3 remains in mss. This last sonata is quite eccentric. It may not be to everyone's taste; I shall be interested to bear what people think.

Mark Thomas

I found the piano concertos issued by Hyperion rather uncomfortable listens - not from a stylistic point of view, but rather because of the way they revealed all too plainly Coke's tortured spirit. Can I expect more of the same from these sonatas, Gareth?

Alan Howe

That'd be my question too...

Gareth Vaughan

Well, up to a point, Lord Copper. I'm not sure I would agree with you wholly about the piano concerti. I think Coke would have seen No. 3 as a red-blooded Rachmaninovian work, while in No. 4 he tries to push the envelope and, in a greater chromaticism, comes close to Scriabin. the extant movement of No. 5 I agree is a rather bleak affair. We have all heard the very beautiful 2nd movt of the 2nd Cello Sonata which has, I feel, a certain serenity. I don't want to say anything that will make you prejudge these works.

Mark Thomas

My question wasn't meant as criticism, Gareth. I'm perfectly OK with being discomfited by music, although I wouldn't want to be all the time of course. (I had to look up the Scoop reference, by the way ;))

TerraEpon

For me the Coke PC did was very weird. I first heard the radio recording and was very exited, listened to the disc and enjoyed it....but a couple more times and it really moved down to 'meh' status for me, and it's going to go into the 'to sell' pile when I get around to it.

Mark Thomas

It's obviously a matter of taste. I wouldn't want to be without the Coke concertos, but they'll never be "comfort music" for me. Hence my question, because on the strength of them I'll certainly want to explore the cello sonatas.

Gareth Vaughan

I don't think the cello sonatas will disappoint you, Mark - but they are not always an easy listen.

eschiss1

Presto Classical claims that a recording of cello sonata no.3 is expected on Nimbus soon, too; is this a different upcoming issue than the Lyrita, does anyone know, or just a misprint?

Gareth Vaughan

It's the score, Eric. Nimbus have published a printed version of the score, typeset from the mss. The part is also included, of course. I believe they also do, or will be doing, the 1st and 2nd sonatas. NMP stands for Nimbus Music Publishing.

eschiss1

Interesting. And of #2 too if I read another entry right.

Alan Howe

Judging from the audio excerpts available these sonatas aren't going to be a comfortable listen; in fact I'd go so far as to say that some of the music is right on the edge of our remit.

semloh

I agree, Alan. But the soundbites suggest very sympathetic performances, and maybe that will diffuse some of the edginess.

eschiss1

This is in the Jan '20 Records International catalog.